General discussion

Why eat chile/peppers

I always wondered who's idea was it to eat hot peppers/chiles. I mean was it stumbled upon, herbal medicine, able to eat spoiled food, just variety and just how did it get started. I ask, because you know certain chilies are HOT! and worse, the after effects can be long in coming. While I realize cooking can have something in the mix, but someone had to try it and then mix it in. What proposed a cook or for that matter an eater to go for it?

http://www.chillifarm.com/chilli_info/history_of_the_chilli.asp
http://www.plantcultures.org/plants/chilli_pepper_history.html

Just wondering... -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Why eat chile/peppers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why eat chile/peppers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I suspect....

it's one of those things early man learned from animals. My birds love them but then again, birds have a dry palate and don't feel any heat from the capsacin that makes peppers hot.

FWIW, people develop an accumulative tolerance to capsacin with repeated use much like an addict develops a tolerance to a drug. You get to a point where the peppers don't taste hot any more. The you get some tastes that were previously masked by the heat. Many peppers like tabascos left to ripen on the bush are actually pretty sweet, like red bell peppers, once you aren't affected by the capsacin as much. By the way, the rest of your body develops a tolerance as well so exit points are unaffected by the capsacin as well Wink

- Collapse -
here's a little secret

If you want to taste the peppers, but not have so much heat, you can add a milk product into the mix, like sour cream, yogurt, even straight milk. You can make a really good red pepper dip to go beside a green avocado dip and it won't be too hot for you.

- Collapse -
I'll grow a few of the hot banana kind

I think they might be called Hungarian wax peppers. They are a yellow-green but will turn red and are commonly used as a pizza topping or on sub sandwiches. These peppers bite but don't burn. Your brow may sweat but no flames should be seen. They're also good to mix into salads. I've tried to grow and eat some higher on the Scoville scale but those haven't been well tolerated. Happy

- Collapse -
As you note, not all peppers are hot.

As a group they have Vitamin C and they add flavor and color to foods.
But the real answer to your subject question is: It's about all we have still going going for us in New Mexico!

BTW y'all are invited to our annual Fall Colors tour. Come watch the cottonwoods change from drab green to drab brown.

- Collapse -
Cottonwoods produce our late spring
- Collapse -
Yep. Doesn't look like much, but that's enough

to start bigger twigs, and so on.
There are cotton-less cottonwoods, which have been planted here. But it's too late: The popular wife of a popular Abq Mayor once planted hundreds of the bad kind as a "civic beauty" gesture. Now Aussie rabbits got nothing on us.
And many are allergic to the cotton, which probably has pollen attached. (That was one of the few plants that didn't bother me.)

CNET Forums

Forum Info