Question

Why dosen't the fan ever stop?

The fan on my Dell Optiplex GX620 PC kicks off and never stops until I turn the PC off. When I restart the PC it is not running but will eventually start up and run for ever. What would cause this and how do I fix it?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Why dosen't the fan ever stop?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why dosen't the fan ever stop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Just Suggestions...

The common causes for such is heat buildup, or the the fan is failing, or the fan is supposed to do that..

So, start by removing the computer cover and using compressed air to clean out the dust from around the processor, the heatsink, the power supply, and all vents and fans.. If that doesn't help, try replacing the fan.. And because there could be an issue with improper cooling from the heatsink, reapplication of the thermal paste will also help most.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Answer
Fixes

PC was laying flat on the desk. I tilted it on it's side. More air surrounding the box. Fan hasn't run away all day.

- Collapse -
Answer
Not the fan

Found the problem. NOT THE FAN. Problen is the "heatsink". That is what kicks in and runs continuesly. Still don't know why.

- Collapse -
Then you mean the CPU fan

The heatsink cannot kick it. It's just a piece of metal with cooling fins or sometimes coils. They should run nearly all the time but the speed may vary and you may not hear it when it runs slowly. The cause and cure are the same as Grif noted. It's sometimes necessary to do more than the simple cleaning such as to remove things and clean more thoroughly. If you remove the heat sink and fan you will need to re-apply thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink contact areas. That fan can also be working with warmer air on the interior if such as case fans and PS fans are dirty as well. Placement of the box so as not to obstruct air flow is also important.

CNET Forums