Laptops forum

General discussion

Why don't these laptops get reviews???

by Fugby / August 31, 2010 12:52 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why don't these laptops get reviews???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why don't these laptops get reviews???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 2:56 PM PDT

That site is a source of pain for many buyers. If you did your research you would not go near them.

Then again, they sell themselves well. Let's see what you have to say years from now.
Bob

Collapse -
Well Bob,
by Fugby / August 31, 2010 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: For one thing.

You're the first instance of negative feedback I've heard, could you elaborate or provide a link supporting your statement?

While Exotic PC OS new to me, it does make a whole mess'a sense.

BTW, what gaming laptop would you suggest? I'm looking for a 17" for under $1,500; nothing too powerful, SC2 & MW2 on moderate settings. What I'm looking for is reliability and customer support, like the good old days of Thinkpads.

Collapse -
You could use google like I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Well Bob,
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Xotic_PC was easy to find and there are plenty more with postings like "8/1/10 9:38 AM
I initially spent ~2,500 on my computer and when I got it in the mail everything worked well, but I had a stuck pixel in the corner that really @$%^$ me off to no end. I mean, right out of the box I was staring at a flaw for 2,500 US dollars. I also noticed a horrible hard drive data transfer rate. My USB drive actually was faster than my internal hard drive. The sound system on this notebook is horrible and I stand by that. My last computer was a 2005 model Dell that cost the same amount of money as this computer, but back 5 years ago. The sound system in the Dell was better than my dual speaker desktop and the notebook had a sub-woofer inside it.

Well after not being satisfied I wrote back to XoticPC after 10 days. It wasn't until around the 35th day of having it I got an RMA number to return it (at my expense). If you ever have to send back a computer note that you will want insurance on it... that's only an extra 40 US dollars on top of the 30 US dollars you spend to priority it back to the company. "

These are not rare postings. You should also know this company actively posts GREAT REVIEWS on their own to tip the scales in their favor then will often vehemently deny they do that.

GAMING LAPTOPS are going to be painful for at least one more year. Just last month I visited the Acer Demo Store in Taipei, Taiwan (I live in the USA but my work takes me all over) and found the very first i7 based laptop that was not smoking hot.

Today I might nod to the Envy 17 (see http://www.amazon.com/HP-ENVY-17-1011NR-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B003L780XS ) which barely misses your price point.

The reasons are about the higher end metal case which does wonders for heat management.

And yes, we own a pair of i7 laptops which you can't use on your lap! And yes a few friends have i7 laptops and all run games very nicely at the expense of be DESKTOP REPLACEMENTS and low battery times.

My advice today is to stick with i5 based machines and 1GB dedicated video solutions until the next wave of i7 machines hits.
Bob
Collapse -
Zing
by Fugby / August 31, 2010 11:54 PM PDT

I did see the same posts, but I'd really like a video review from cnet's team...that's what I'm curious about.

Is there a 17" laptop out there with an i5? I agree that the i7 requires too much cooling to be in a laptop...for now.

Collapse -
Yes there is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Zing

Look at the Envy 17 with the i5. You'll see the great metal case that helps manage the heat from the GPU and you pull back from the edge of low battery times with the move to the i5.

The no-name makers likely won't take the chance of a high profile review like you are asking for. Besides the issues are mostly not with the usual first few days but later when something, even small causes the owners pains. This is not to say that any company is without sin but if you've been around you know to stay with the big names.

Let others take the chances.
Bob

Collapse -
Yea, but
by Fugby / September 1, 2010 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes there is.

I hear that the heat is unbearable on the Envy...like the metal case is excellent at dissipating heat away from he cpu/gpu into your hand/wrist

I'm getting more interested in the Alienware lineup (and the fact that they have a better heat management design)...maybe the m11x with a monitor for home use. Which leads me to another question: Which processor is sufficient for the m11x? There's so many options and only one gpu...

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Yea, but

So far ALL GAMING LAPTOPS have shown they heat up under game use. I have yet to find an exception and when someone did write "this doesn't do that" I kept my eye out for that one and yes it was better UNTIL we ran a game and wham, in just a few minutes the heat was pouring out the air vents and the surfaces began to warm.

This is the current state of the art for GAMING LAPTOPS.

We have an i7, 1GB video Asus and my kid really loves it for on the road gaming. But for desktop use and play he'll plug in some USB keyboard and mouse for cool play.

Bob

Collapse -
You're so wise
by Fugby / September 1, 2010 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

Thanks

Looks like I'll have to NewEgg for the 17" w/ i5. HP won't let you pair those anymore...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?