HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

why doesnt my new blu ray play back in 7.1 format?

by jtownman / October 21, 2011 11:19 PM PDT

I just bought a new toshiba blue ray from best buy -
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Wi-Fi+Ready+Blu-ray+Player/2945870.p?id=1218380598546&skuId=2945870

My current receiver is a harmon kardon, and we were using the harmon
kardon dvd that it came with, but switched due to it not being HD. So
when we changed out the dvd, I noticed were no longer getting the sound
in 7.1 dolby D EX (7.1). Any ideas as to whats wrong?

The sound is connected to the receiver via the original audio coax cable it came with.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why doesnt my new blu ray play back in 7.1 format?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why doesnt my new blu ray play back in 7.1 format?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need more details
by Dan Filice / October 22, 2011 1:15 AM PDT

How do you have the BR player connected to the receiver?

You state that you were using the Harmon Kardon DVD that came with the receiver but switched because it was not HD. Then after switching the disc, you no longer were getting 7.1 Dolby D EX. Is the new DVD a Blu-Ray disc and what audio formats does the new disc support? If you haven't changed your connections, then the new disc seems to be the only variable here to have made a difference in your audio output.

Your cable connection between the Toshiba BR player and the receiver will make a huge difference in your audio as will the actual DVD disc. You were somewhat vague in your description. Give more details please.

Collapse -
clarification
by jtownman / October 22, 2011 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more details

The only difference is the blue ray player.

I am using all the same connections and dvd's, standard and blue ray, connected via coax to the receiver for audio, and HDMI to the tv for the video.. What came through before as 7.1 is now only coming through in 5.1

Collapse -
No 7.1
by 3coursedinner / October 23, 2011 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: clarification

Sorry to get in a bit late. What are the model numbers of the HK receiver and DVD player?
How do you have the audio of the BR set up? Is ir set on bitstream?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.