HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Why does Vista restrict the size of a new partition?

by abe-tolentino / February 16, 2008 12:55 AM PST

I am having problems with shrinking the volume of my C drive in Vista Home Premium. My new HP 6700 series laptop came with a 250GB (actually 232GB) hard drive, pre-partitioned into a 220GB C drive and a 12GB D drive containing the laptop's recovery files.

I would like to break the 220GB C into three drives: 60GB for Vista, 50GB for XP (for dual booting), and 110GB for data. The only problem is that when I use the Vista disk management application, I can only shrink the C drive by a maximum of ~67GB. I have tried and that shrink works fine, but my C drive remains too large (~155GB) and I can't create the third partition I want.

I have seen previous posts talk about Gparted, but I am not fully comfortable with Linux (especially since there seems to be special requirements for NTFS drives). I have a copy of Partition Magic 8 that I used on my old XP laptop, but I have discovered that many of my older programs have compatibility issues with Vista (Acrobat 6, for example). And I am pretty sure that installing PM8 on two systems is a violation of my EULA (though I do plan to wipe the old system).

Should I simply use PM8 (assuming it is compatible with Vista) or is there something I missed with disk management in Vista?

Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does Vista restrict the size of a new partition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does Vista restrict the size of a new partition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In one sentence.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 3:00 AM PST

Disk partitioning, resizing in particular is not a strong point of Vista.

Collapse -
GPartEd for dummies
by abe-tolentino / February 24, 2008 11:43 PM PST

Ok, it took lots of sweat, some tears, and possibly some blood also (from ripped out hair), but I believe that I finally have my new laptop's hard drive partitioned the way I wanted. (It's still chugging along, but everything looks promising so far.)

I tried my copy of Partition Magic 8 and it doesn't work on Vista. Even if I ignored the compatibility issue warnings, there was no way to get PM8 to work on Vista. I searched the interwebs for another solution that would be free, and GPartEd kept coming up, but it required a Linux live CD but I kept running into problems with NTFS formatting, which required a few extra files that I couldn't figure out how to include.

I must have been using different search terms this morning, because I finally found a GPartEd live CD that supports NTFS and it's a breeze to work with. You can read about it here (http://www.linux.com/articles/53924) and snag the ISO here (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828). If you don't know how to burn an ISO image to a CD, get the free version of DeepBruner and it's a cakewalk.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.