Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why does toolbars not display when I click on IE icon?

by 5dukesnnc / June 30, 2004 12:41 PM PDT

I am operating on a Gateway 500 with 256 RAM, 14G harddrive. Windows 98/Small Business Edition 2000. We have cable connection so I am using Norton Personal Firewall 2004 and I have Norton SystemWorks 2003.

On at least two occasions, I have clicked on the IE icon down in the taskbar and our homepage opens but there is no toolbar of any sort so I can't select "favorites", I can't type a web address, I pretty much can't do anything.

The first time this happened, I selected to restore to IE 5.0, which recovered my toolbars so I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the latest version and service pack. All was well for a while.

Then again today, no toolbars when the icon was clicked to open IE and my reinstall and downloading necessary components didn't fix it. What I finally did was select settings, control panel and when that window opened, I changed the address line from control panel to Internet Explorer and the toolbars were there because of being in the control panel window when it was selected.

No matter whether I choose the quick launch icon or the icon on the desktop, neither provide a webpage with toolbars. I have even tried to get the mouse below the "active" title bar to pull it down and nothing happens. I didn't know if there was a setting of some sort in my firewall or system works that may have gotten changed by accident that is causing the toolbar delimma.

I know in a different post for a different problem, it was suggested that I switch to another browser but this is the one I've used for at least seven years and is the one used in the office where I work so I hate trying to adjust to another. PLEASE ADVISE!!

Thank you in advance for your suggestion and your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does toolbars not display when I click on IE icon?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does toolbars not display when I click on IE icon?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Why does toolbars not display when I click on IE icon?
by Cursorcowboy / June 30, 2004 9:52 PM PDT
I am using Norton Personal Firewall 2004 and I have Norton SystemWorks 2003

If they are stopped for a test, does the anomaly happen?

On at least two occasions, I have clicked on the IE icon down in the taskbar and our homepage opens but there is no toolbar

What does pressing the key F12 do for you at this time, if anything?

The best I can suggest is perhaps something following may give you some ideas, and then maybe not.

1. The article [Q283241] states that you may be unable to rearrange or move the toolbars in Internet Explorer and occurs because the toolbars are locked by default. To resolve this issue, start Internet Explorer and while running in regular-screen view, clear the check box for Lock the Toolbars. To change the appearance of the toolbar, [Internet Guide and Web Tutorial]:

You can move or resize the Address bar and Links bar by dragging them up, down, left, or right. You can even move them into the menu bar. If they won't move, right-click on the bar and uncheck Lock the Toolbars, then left-click on the word Address or Links and drag the bar where you want it to go.

To make more room on your screen, you can hide toolbar button labels. Just right-click the toolbar, click Customize, and select No text labels from the Text options dropdown list.

You can hide the Address bar or Links section of the toolbar by right-clicking the toolbar and clearing the check mark for each item you want to hide.

You can add items to the Links bar by dragging the icon from the Address bar or dragging a link from a page.

You can rearrange items on the Links bar by dragging them to a new location on the bar.

You can use smaller Microsoft Office-style toolbar buttons. On the View menu in a browser window, select Toolbars, then select Customize. Under Icon options, choose the size you want.

a. "Media Bar" (click to see an example screenshot) - replaces the IE v5.x Radio bar, which only supports streaming audio, and is a lightweight multiple-tasking media player that occupies a vertical pane to the left of the main document pane.

b. You can make the "size" (click to see an example screenshot) of the toolbar icons either large for better visibility or small so that they take up less space on your screen, or add new functionality by removing buttons you don't use. The "Image Toolbar" (click to see an example screenshot) allows you to quickly and easily save, send, and print pictures that you find on Web pages, as well as view all your saved pictures in the My Pictures folder.

2. The article [Q298931] describes the steps to disable the installed third-party Tool Bands and Browser Helper Objects features.

a. A tool band is a band object that supports the Radio Toolbar feature and can put a window on a band that is contained by the Rebar control that holds the toolbars. For additional information about tool bands, visit this Microsoft Web "site."

b. Browser helper objects are Component Object Model (COM) components that loads when IE is started and are objects run in the same memory context as the browser, and they can perform any action on the available windows and modules. For developer information about browser helper objects, visit the following Microsoft Web "site." A Web site which list the known, "Browser Helper Objects (BHOs)."

c. Three links for your reading pleasure:

(1) "Browser Helper Objects: The Browser the Way You Want It?

(2) "What is a Browser Helper Object?."

(3) "BHODemon" that can be downloaded may assist with your situation perhaps.

Note: Unlike previous versions of IE, version 6 does not include Web folders, FTP folders, MSN Messenger, Microsoft VM for Java, or NetMeeting 3.x. Existing versions of these programs and features are preserved on upgrade or may be installed by your operating system.

3. What are the subfolders titles and key values in the system registry for the default IE title bars? Taking a wild guess:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars

a. To start the System Registry Editor, click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKEY_CURRENT_USER to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a back slash in the above key). After clicking the last plus on "Explorer Bars" there should be four subfolders which depict the four "title lines" (Click to see an example screenshot) of IE when those options are turned on and displayed: File, Back, Address, and Links.

Warning: Also note that if you're using IE v6.0, then that address probably is \Internet Explorer\Bar\Panes and that the information displayed following as an example for my IE v5.01SP2, would perhaps not come close.

Explorer Band - {EFA24E64-B078-11D0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
BarSize 37 01 00 00 00 00 00 00

Favorites Band - {EFA24E61-B078-11D0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
BarSize 26 01 00 00 00 00 00 00

History Band - {EFA24E62-B078-11D0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
BarSize aa 01 00 00 00 00 00 00

Microsoft Search Band - {30D02401-6A81-11D0-8274-00C04FD5AE38}
BarSize ca 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Note: Click Registry in the main menu and select Exit, or simply click the x in the URHC of the window to close it.

b. The Shell Browser consists of:

01E04581... (Address)
0E5CBF21... (Links)
8E71888... (Radio)

c. The Web Browser - consist of the first two above.

4. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Customize the Toolbars in Internet Explorer (Q153593)" - up through v5.x all OS versions.

b. "How to Change the Internet Explorer Window Title (Q176497)."

c. "The Radio Toolbar Is Unavailable in Internet Explorer 6 (Q303130)."

d. "How to Use the Image Toolbar and Automatic Image Resizing Feature in Internet Explorer 6 (Q306917)."

e. "Creating Custom Explorer Bars, Tool Bands, and Desk Bands."
Collapse -
No toolbar displays PERIOD!
by 5dukesnnc / July 1, 2004 1:39 PM PDT

My finite brain just does not grasp all the wisdom you have included above. Clicking on the IE icon only displays the homepage website (Hotmail) and the title bar indicating that website. There are no standard buttons, no address bar, no links, NOTHING!

F12 does nothing when I click on the icon and since there isn't any buttons or toolbars to click on, customizing doesn't work (which I knew how to do all that prior to your information - moving, changing, etc. but when I can't click on it, I can't perform the function).

As previously noted in my original post, I can get these only by opening the My Document window or Control Panel window, etc. I have somehow, however, removed the IE icon from the address list that drops down when you click on the down arrow while in the My Documents window so unfortunately I have to select a "favorites" website to be able to get all the proper buttons and toolbars back while in IE.

I know I originally had IE 6.0, I'm just not sure it was the latest so when I started having the toolbar problem, I uninstalled to my last version, which was 5.0 and the toolbars returned. I then clicked on the Microsoft website and downloaded version 6.0.2800.1106, Updated ver:; SP1; The buttons and toolbars remained for a time and then BAM, gone again!

Since I'm not the only user, I have no clue as to what could have been done or where I go to make sure all this remains when the computer is shut down. I do know the latest version of MSN messenger has been installed but I can't imagine that eliminating something in another program.

I wasn't sure if the information about registry keys would apply to this version of IE so I haven't checked any of that as yet. Please advise further. I am completing boggled by this delimma! Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: No toolbar displays PERIOD!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 1:54 PM PDT

5dukes,

This fix works on Windows 2000 and XP, but I'm not sitting at a Windows 98 machine, so I can't check. See if it works for you. Make sure that all of the paths are correct first and be sure to make a backup registry file using the instructions below:

Click on Start, Run, type "regedit" (without the quotes), then click on OK.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. First, make a backup of the Registry. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens, type in "Regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, Click on Registry in the upper left corner of the window, choose "Export Registry File". When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like.

Separately, navigate to the locations below:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Toolbar\Explorer

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Toolbar\Shellbrowser

In the right window pane of each path above, highlight the key: ITBarLayout, RIGHT click on each of the keys, choose "Delete". Click on the X in the upper right corner of the Registry Editor to exit and save the changes. Restart the computer and new "default" entries will be created when needed. If this doesn?t fix the issue, double click on the registry file that you saved to the desktop.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No toolbar display
by Cursorcowboy / July 1, 2004 10:27 PM PDT

A. Clicking on the IE icon only displays the homepage website (Hotmail) and the title bar indicating that website. There are no standard buttons, no address bar, no links, NOTHING!

Please furnish a URL.

B. F12 does nothing when I click on the icon and since there isn't any buttons or toolbars to click on,

I did a boo-bo. That should have been F11. What does pressing it do?

C. As previously noted in my original post, I can get these only by opening the My Document window or Control Panel window, etc.

If you click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, click in the Address: bar so your cursor is there, press the "Home" key on the keypad, press a "shift-key" with a finger and hold it, then press the End key on the keypad so the entire line is bolded/highlighted, remove finger, and then press the key combination Ctrl+c, move to the forum reply you are making and paste that to the editor using the key combination Ctrl+v so we can see what the home page is set to, and you have a record of what it was and later want to re-enter it manually. Go back to the Address: bar and click the button Use Default. After posting the reply on the forum, re-start the browser and see what is listed on the page that comes up.

D. I wasn't sure if the information about registry keys would apply to this version of IE so I haven't checked any of that as yet.

1. The registry is backed up daily for the last five days in Win9x (default set in the BackupDirectory key in SCANREG.INI).

2. The compressed x.CAB files (rb00x.cab, where "x" can be 0 to 5) are stored in the \SYSBCKUP folder by default but you may set this to anywhere you want. When the computer is booted each new day, the next number is created and after the default number (5) is reached, the older file is replaced.

Note: Increasing the number of stored backups may be useful but be aware that they require a lot of drive space. Even though the backups are stored in compressed form each could still require between 700kb to a couple of megs or more. If space on a drive becomes critical, you can edit SCANREG.INI and change the default to a smaller number or change the default location to a different drive, besides adding other files to it (Use Help Scanreg for further information).

Caveat: Setting the "Backup=" line to 0 (zero) in the SCANREG.INI file will circumvent Windows 98 from backing up the Registry totally. However, if the Registry isn't being backed up and this is not the cause, please read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, subject "Registry Is Not Backed Up Automatically at Startup (Q198864)."

3. If the box labeled "ScanRegistry" is disabled in the "Startup" tab menu (System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG)), the system registry will not be backed-up during boot.

4. From the MS-DOS prompt any of the backups can be restored, [Q184023]. Boot to the command prompt and type Scanreg /restore and then press enter. Follow the directions to select which backup you want based on date saved.

5. To perform a manual backup, simply type scanreg on the Run line and then press Enter.

Collapse -
Additional thought
by 5dukesnnc / July 1, 2004 2:15 PM PDT

You had asked about Norton PF. I actually log on to the computer and manually enable the firewall. After several minutes, I will then click on the IE icon so that they will properly load. This never caused a problem before but I just thought I better mention.

I'll still give the registry stuff a try but this is something I've never done before so I'm a little cautious. Again, thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.