PC Applications forum

Question

Why does this happen..?

by tonychase / April 20, 2011 5:03 PM PDT

I really like the iOBIT security program. But no matter what I try, Mozilla always shows on it as showing my system with privacy problems under the PC security analysis. Cookies and all other blockers are on...what gives?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does this happen..?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does this happen..?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Not sure what that means
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 20, 2011 9:50 PM PDT

"Mozilla always shows on it as showing my system with privacy problems"

Sorry, I am not sure what you are saying there. How does Firefox show this, and what does it say? EXACT words please.

About IOBit and ASC:

We continuously see problems posted in these forums from people who use IOBit software. That is why we are very cautious about them and don't recognise them at all.

I see privacy concerns when I Google IOBit, and one discussion is here;
http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/security/2250-iobit-security-360-stealing-signatures-2.html

Your choice here, but I won't touch it.

Mark

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
clarification...
by tonychase / April 21, 2011 7:29 AM PDT

IObit has a PC Security analysis button to scan your system for privacy problems. Every time I run that scan, it shows 17 privacy problems or more. When I check to see what they are, its always associated with Mozilla Firefox under iObits Privacy sweeper,venthough I have the cookies blocked under the Passive Defense

Collapse -
Re: privacy problems
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 6:57 PM PDT
In reply to: clarification...

- What are the details of that 17 or more privacy problems?
- Does anything change if you delete all your cookies in Firefox?

Kees

Collapse -
the privacy....
by tonychase / April 28, 2011 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: privacy problems

it says something about mozilla firefox cache, and it lists 1-9 then A-F. I try and delete them an always 17 privacy problems show up. Now I have 3 security holes it says with the 17 problems.. I have all cookies blocked on the browser.

Collapse -
Re: privacy
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 28, 2011 5:35 PM PDT
In reply to: the privacy....

- Cache isn't the same as cookies. What happens if you clear the cache?
- Having cookies blocked won't delete old cookies. What happens if you delete those?
- You still didn't disclose what IObit exactly says. Can you do that (after clearing the cache and deleting the cookies)?

Kees

Collapse -
A thought...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 28, 2011 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: privacy

I saw your post in Real-Time Kees so I returned here. I thought I was tracking this thread but for some reason I am not.

I just had a thought about what the OP is saying.

I wonder if this is some sort of scan, similar to what we would do with MBAM or SAS, that finds "Tracking cookies"?

Some scanners might show this up as "Privacy concerns". If so, they are generally of little concern and can be deleted, and they might appear again, depending what web sites are visited.

But I agree with you we still need the exact wording to be sure.

Mark

Collapse -
here it is..
by tonychase / April 29, 2011 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: A thought...

mozilla\firefox\profiles\nfhyy53r.default\Cache\0 and it lists this in numerical order to 9 and then A thru F.

Collapse -
Doesn't mean much to me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: here it is..

but then all scanners word these differently. For example my anti-malware scanners clearly state that these are "Tracking cookies".

Honestly I don't think this is a matter you need to be concerned with. Most, (commercial and other) sites you visit will install cookies onto your system, whichever browser you use. Most of these cookies help the web site if ever you re-visit, but sometimes some Ad Agency cookie will be added by the web site that tracks your web browsing movements, and when you return to the web site that installed this, the web site can then analyse what services/products to display on the page.

They're not nice, and you can, possibly, set Firefox to disallow all 3rd party cookies, but some sites, (I believe CNET is one), may not work properly if you do.

Just run CCleaner once a week or so to remove all these nuisance cookies.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: cache
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 30, 2011 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: here it is..

If it's in the cache, it's something you browsed to. If you don't trust the sites you browse to don't do it. If you trust the sites, don't mind the message.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.