Laptops forum

General discussion

Why does Sony partition their computer's hard-drives

by Jedi_1 / October 10, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

My friend is a fool, he uses Windows XP and has a Vaio notebook from Sony.I use Mac OS X Tiger(of course) We usually dont argue on who has a better OS but he always has problems with his damn Vaio. The machine runs a Pentium 4 at 2.66 Ghz, has 512 DDR RAM, and a 40 BG harddive so its not outdated but its very slow and cant handle more than a few apps at a time. So one day I was overlooking his computers specs more closly and discovered the problem....his hard-drive was partitioned into 2 sectors. Now that doesnt sound bad but the "geniouses" at Sony made both partitons equal in size. Logically that doesnt make sense, the sector with the OS should be bigger than the other sector but the dual 20 GB hard-drive means that the main sector has to handle the big weight of WIndows and everything else. Plus when a HD is partitioned it means that data has to stop more than usual and RAM is shared. So I ask anyone out there....Tell me why the Sony partitions their hard-drives(I know other models of Sony computers also partition)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does Sony partition their computer's hard-drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does Sony partition their computer's hard-drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By the way...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 9:09 AM PDT

If the drive was in one partition, I would read a post that that was wrong too. This area is a "no-win" situation. Time to toss that out and look at a real problem with P4 laptops. It's too bad that consumers clamored for the P4 in a laptop since after a few years I agree that it was a bad idea.

If you had a G5 laptop, you would see the same issues.

Hope this explains it for you.

Bob

Collapse -
sony vaio
by ichiou / October 11, 2005 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: By the way...

Could you tell me more about the problems that Sony Vaio might have; I was planning to buy one of those TX models? Any insight is appreciated!

Collapse -
Not limited to that brand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2005 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: sony vaio

All you need to do to learn about desktop CPU Pentium 4 based laptops is to read posts here about a 1 or 2 year old machine. Most expect their laptop to run without service or much else. The P4 which can push 50+ Watts of heat is much like a race car when it comes to maintenance. No one tells (save people like me and these forums) that maintenance is required.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Vaio TX
by spotter / December 10, 2005 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: sony vaio

Hi ichiou.

I'm also looking for a new laptop and diving into forums like this for user experience. My conclusion is that the replies are usually dominated by people who've had a bad experience with a particular brand and seek revenge on the manufacturer!

If it helps, the brickbats seem to be equally shared out, which would seem to suggest that customer service in the computer industry generally is a disgrace (no surprise there).

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the main reason for having a laptop is so you can carry it around with you when you need to work away from home or office, which makes battery life and portability vital. The Vaio TX offers both of these in spades (7.75 hour battery life - or 11.5 with the extension pack - and weighing under 3lb). The other brands I'm considering for similar reasons are the Samsung Q30 and Apple G4 Powerbook.

Collapse -
partition
by teknogeek / October 26, 2005 4:06 PM PDT

It is not just sony, IBM do the same and most brands do it with laptops when they are shipped from the factory. Both ibm and sony do so that they can add the compressed restore software on a hidden partition rather than shipping restore cds.

I always partition my HD with about 20GB for OS and system/apps and the remainder available for my data. That way, when I want to reinstall win, I can format the partition with al the system and apps on without worrying about my data.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.