Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WHY DOES RPC KEEP SHUTTING DOWN MY COMPUTER

by kurbchecker / April 21, 2004 5:51 PM PDT

RECENTLY I USED MY E MACHINES RESTORE CD BASICLY PUT MY COMPUTER BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS WHEN I FIRST GOT IT . I HAD TO SET IT UP ALL OVER AGAIN AND NOW WHEN I LOG ON TO THE INTERNET IT WILL BE OK FOR THE FIRST COUPLE OF MINUTES AND THAN AN ERROR MESSAGE SAYING COMPUTER IS SHUTTING DOWN SAVE ALL WORK AND LOG OFF ALL UNSAVED WORK WILL BE LOST. AND IT GIVES A COUNT DOWN AND SAYS THAT THE SHUT DOWN WAS INIATIATED BY NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM WINDOWS MUST NOW RESTART NOW BECAUSE REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL (RPC) SERVICE TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY. AND THAN MY SYSTEM RESTARTS. PLEASE HELP ME SOMONE PLEASE WALK ME THROUGH THIS STEP BY STEP IAM SOMEWHAT NEW TO COMPUTERS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHY DOES RPC KEEP SHUTTING DOWN MY COMPUTER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHY DOES RPC KEEP SHUTTING DOWN MY COMPUTER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:WHY DOES RPC KEEP SHUTTING DOWN MY COMPUTER
by anthonyduncan / April 21, 2004 6:22 PM PDT

Ah the dreaded RPC.
ok:

1) Open the START MENU
2) Click on CONTROL PANEL
3) Open the ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS option
4) Open SERVICES
5) Look for an item named: REMOTE PRECEDURE CALL
6) Right-click on it and choose PROPERTIES
7) There are a number of tabs at the top of the window, choose RECOVERY
Cool You will now see 3 drop-down boxes with restart selected, change all 3 to TAKE NO ACTION.
9) Click OK
10)Restart the Computer

Collapse -
Re:Re:WHY DOES RPC KEEP SHUTTING DOWN MY COMPUTER
by Yew / April 21, 2004 10:23 PM PDT

There's also a patch avaliable on Windows Update that will stop this from happening, and is the generally preferred method of solving this problem.

Having just yesterday have to run a complete update on a fresh system with only SP1 and that particular patch (which I have on a CD I nicked from a previous job), I can tell you that you'll be downloading close to 20MB of patches. So if you've got dialup, best to let it go overnight when no one's likely to be calling and you're asleep and not really caring that it's inching along.

Collapse -
You've got the Blaster Worm Syndrome!!!
by David Chan / April 21, 2004 10:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / April 22, 2004 8:05 AM PDT

Listen to David Chan, you definitely have the blaster worm virus. If you don't have a virus program, you can download "Stinger" free. No installation required. Just double click and scan. It will take care of your problem.

Collapse -
Re:Re:WHY DOES RPC KEEP SHUTTING DOWN MY COMPUTER
by Themisive / April 22, 2004 9:58 PM PDT

After you''ve cleaned the machine, try going for a good antivirus programme, there are several, I use one, PC Cillin, from www.antivirus.com or McAfee or similar, also, try turning on XP's firewall, it's not perfect but it'll help.

Collapse -
by supermanx1a / April 23, 2004 2:51 AM PDT

I have seen this message a few times in the PC's I repair. It's always an easy way and an escape hatch to blame issues which cannot be explained on a virus. This message comes from Windows advising of a problem and giving you a chance to save your work before it shuts down in order to prevent further damage.

Customers who had that message were ALWAYS running some program which was too demanding for their system or were abusing the possibility of running a few programs at the same time. According to my notes, the messages disappeared completely from the majority when they added ram to their pc's. The rest were running corrupted or badly pirated versions windows.

Collapse -
by Themisive / June 27, 2004 2:01 AM PDT

To supermanx1a

You'd better review your notes again, I've 1Gb Ram, 100Gb HD, a 2.4GHz processor, and I used to get that problem. The OS is Windows XP Home edition, genuine copy as well. In actual fact, in my case it WAS a virus, as I proved by updating my anti-virus system!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?