HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

why does my usb hate my new camera so much?

by moosteve / February 15, 2007 5:43 AM PST

p4 2.4 gig
msi mobo
usb 2.0
xp pro/sp 2 with all current updates
lexmark p4350 all in one

my recently purchased canon powershot 710 IS does not seem to want to play nice with everyone else...and as a result, i must disconnect my printer/scanner to offload pics from the camera, eventhough the lexmark is off. my previous powershot A70 did not require this.
i have done exhaustive googling with no solution found, and there is nothing at the canon site.
sometimes i get a "usb device not recognized", sometimes the scanner/camera wizard will start, and then tell me no camera or scanner could be found.

surely xp has the capability of recognizing two imaging devices...it did before with the older camera.

i am convinced it must have something to do with the TWAIN driver...but i ran the disk for the camera..

anyone have a similar experience? what am i missing?

thanks

steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why does my usb hate my new camera so much?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why does my usb hate my new camera so much?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just noting a few fixes I've used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 5:50 AM PST

In no particular order.

1. Install the latest motherboard driver package.
2. Never use the front USB ports.
3. Install an USB 2.0 hub.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by moosteve / February 15, 2007 6:18 AM PST

old motherboard, but with the newest drivers, and i am using the back usb ports. there are four, and the situation is the same regardless of the configuration. i am curious, what would the hub do to change things?

and re:answer below...i have tried both cables, and i do not think it is a camera issue, but one with the usb inherent to my machine. i have seen this conflict documented in google research, just no workable solution.

Collapse -
"what would the hub do to change things?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

I'll not duplicate former discussions except to note it has resolved this for some. In one line it has to do with clock jitter.

Bob

Collapse -
thank you mr. proffitt
by moosteve / February 15, 2007 6:33 AM PST

i will read up on the subject here and other places.. i just needed a pointer.

Collapse -
Be sure to check those motherboard drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: thank you mr. proffitt

I find many out of date.

Bob

Collapse -
If....
by Papa Echo / February 15, 2007 5:51 AM PST

...you have followed instructions to install the drivers/camera, then it's likely hardware - the camera itself, or the USB cable. Trying changing the cable - one from your previous canera should fit. Anyway, I suggest taking it back to the shop, before you void the warranty.

Collapse -
Digital Camera USB Problems
by dwalmz / February 15, 2007 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: If....

I suggest getting a card reader and not connect the camera itself. I find it much more convenient to remove the memory card and slide it into the reader. Some systems have USB ports that don't supply enough power. Also try a powered USB hub. It may help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.