Tablets forum

Resolved Question

Why does my tablet create two thumbs of each pic?

by bli47 / August 4, 2014 6:43 PM PDT

I have an ASUS tablet with Android 4.2.2 and a 32Gb micro SD card. The internal storage is 4 Gb.
I have created a folder on the microSd to place pics in to be seen on the tablet. But, whenever I open "Gallery" or "Photos" on the tablet, I get a screen with two thumbnails of each pic. When I then open the pics to look at them individually, I seem to have two of each. In the folder on the micro SD there is only one file. I have looked thru settings, I have deleted all pics and made a new folder, all with the same result. Who recognizes this and knows how to get rid of this problem?
Thnx for helping!
Jaap

bli47 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does my tablet create two thumbs of each pic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does my tablet create two thumbs of each pic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by bli47

Collapse -
There's one big clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 6:11 AM PDT

" I connect my tablet to my laptop and "

Blammo. Windows Explore will make thumbnails. These are usually hidden but as you connected and looked around, well, I'm unsure if you know Windows that well to know that it does this to speed up browsing. If it didn't, folk would lambast Windows for it's lack of speed even more.

Said things may be hidden from the default settings.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 3:28 AM PDT

Because we need a pre-scaled image for speed, the apps usually create one for the screen, one for a file browser and so on. In my app development, if I do it properly I have 4 images per image (mind you this is transparent to the app user.)

So no, it sounds like it's doing what it should.
Bob

Collapse -
To Bob 's answer
by bli47 / August 8, 2014 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with no.

Thnx Bob for your answer! But how do you explain that when I connect my tablet to my laptop and open the microSD on the tablet from my laptop I now also see two folders Documents, two folders Photos, even two similar Android folders............and not all folders have duplicates.....
When I open each of a pair of folders, one folder is empty, the other contains the stuff I put there.
Pretty confusing to me.
Jaap
Oh and correction to my first post, the Asus has 16GB on board and a microSD of 32 Gb

Collapse -
Because that's how many image cache systems work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: To Bob 's answer

You are essentially looking under the hood and seeing all the stuff we usually don't see (in apps.) So without looking at the code that is in play it would seem rather confusing. But as an app author and decades of programming behind me, nothing sounds wrong.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?