Resolved Question

Why does my sidebar in i-Tunes no longer show "Music"?

I have a MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.Cool and use i-Tunes (v. 11.1.3) I recently noticed that in my sidebar there is no indication of there being either"Music" or "Movies". My list begins at "TV Shows" and is otherwise complete, including STORE, GENIUS, and all my PLAYLISTS. I have over 15,000 songs, and unless they are included in a playlist, I can't access them. HELP!

Discussion is locked

realfit1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Why does my sidebar in i-Tunes no longer show "Music"?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why does my sidebar in i-Tunes no longer show "Music"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
With iTunes open,

go to Preferences > General and make sure that there is a check mark next to both Music and Movies.

Close preferences and you should be fine

P

- Collapse -
Thanks, but there's another problem lurking here...

I opened Preferences, and sure enough, there are the boxes with their check marks... Movies is there and checkmarked as are TV Shows...Podcasts... and all the usual suspects, all checked but there is no mention of Music... I have to suppose that my iTunes is faulty. Do I delete it, and if I do and install another copy, do I have to delete everything related (ie Quick Time Player etc)?
As it is, Movies is checked, but my movies don't appear anywhere, and there is no item named "Music" mentioned at all. I am befuddled.

- Collapse -
Download and install a new copy.

No need to uninstall anything.

P

- Collapse -
Same old...

I downloaded and installed a new copy of iTunes, and still have no "Music" label in my side bar. I have a 160 GB classic iPod with most of my music on it. Using the software XPort, I tried copying its content to my desktop (successfully) hoping to then import the music to iTunes. What happened is I now have a kick-*** playlist (13.5 K songs) but that doesn't offer the utility of playing directly from "Music" Any other suggestions please? A clarification, as well... I have neither Music nor Movies in the sidebar. In the preferences list of checkboxes, I have Movies (checkmarked) but no Music.

- Collapse -
From ipod to computer, my suggestion is usually iRip.

I wonder what's up with XPort.

- Collapse -
fixed... not solved

Thanks for all your advice. I did all but the last one (iFlip)... Didn't need to, because for whatever reason, my Music was there in the sidebar. All of it. I don't understand the why or how, but I am happy with the what... (i_tunes as it should be).
Again, I truly appreciate your help. This was my first foray into a forum for help. I have to believe something I did following your suggestions did it. Success. Much thanks.

CNET Forums

Forum Info