Question

Why does my R9 270x keep on freezing the system?

I have an i7 920, 8gb ddr3 RAM.. Novatec 750w 80plus PSU. Everytime I load a game or stress test the gpu it locks up the whole system and I have to hold the power button to restart.

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Why does my R9 270x keep on freezing the system?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why does my R9 270x keep on freezing the system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Novatec No Longer Sells That PSU, So How Old Is It?

A couple of things come to mind here....

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/nov-750gld.html

Although the PSU appears to be single rail, a good thing, if the age has caused a power dip, we would swap in a known good PSU for testing.

Also, because the driver match for the operating system, motherboard, and graphics card is critical, be sure to update the motherboard/chipset driver and BIOS firmware, plus check for updated drivers for the graphics card.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on July 24, 2018 11:09 AM PDT

- Collapse -
Answer
Aha

I've run into this one. We swapped in another GPU and the problem vanished. The owner wanted us to tell them why but as you suspect we can't really tell them except "this works, that does not." Yes, they found that unacceptable and wanted to know exactly why. Never heard if they found out why.

CNET Forums