Question

Why does my new Samsung J6300 look so bad when upscaling?

Hey all, I need your help! I just bought a new Samsung UN55J6300 and though I quite like its picture for normal viewing, it suffers badly specifically when watching non-HD content and some sporting events. For example, when watching any show in hd, the picture is sharp and fluid however when it shifts to showing footage from an older game (while watching sports), the picture is terribly grainy, patchy and almost pixelated. As well, sporting events such as baseball suffer from patchiness when the came shifts from a clear up close shot to the entire field. Is this an issue related to upscaling and should I adjust my settings somehow? I don't notice judder or motion blur, just poor picture quality (especially during baseball and football, with hockey being just fine). Is this an issue with the tv itself meriting an exchange? It's post season baseball and I'm going crazy with this picture quality (let alone it's a brand new tv and one that I quite like during tv shows and films). Please let me know what you think as I value all of your experience and expertise.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Why does my new Samsung J6300 look so bad when upscaling?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why does my new Samsung J6300 look so bad when upscaling?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
You nailed it. Non-HD content.

You are taking content that was for sub 30 inch displays and magnifying it on a 55 inch screen to see all the warts and issues SD content has.

I know that folk want to see this old stuff on the big screen so enjoy seeing it all. Or run it on a screen size you had way back then.

- Collapse -
Great answer. One more question..

Thanks for the feedback as it makes more sense to me now.
As for my second question, why does the picture quality change drastically during sports scenes (when the camera shoots the entire field) as opposed to when the players look great close up. I've never had this issue before and was wondering if there was something I could do to produce a less patchy, grainy image. As mentioned this only happens with baseball and football (when the camera pans back and shows the entire playing surface).

- Collapse -
That's up to the source to determing that.

As you know, all this HD stuff is really new stuff. We are talking about 6 years or less.
https://www.google.com/#q=when+did+analog+tv+end

So this means the sports video crews have a lot of old standard def cameras that are used for here and there and time will eventually take its toll and the cameras replaced.

Doing this change all at once would be very costly so if you want a shot downfield and would use it once or less a game you will place your still working SD camera there and your HD cameras where you use footage (video) all the time.

-> As to never before. I hear this complaint mostly from folk that went from standard sized SD TVs to big screens.

- Collapse -
Switching to Sony KDL-60W840b?

I forgot to mention that I have an opportunity to exchange my Samsung UN55J6300 for a Sony KDL-60W840b. Though the specs seem to be somewhat similar, would I see better results if I were to exchange the Sammy for the Sony?

- Collapse -
I have to write no.

The bigger screen should amplify SD video anomalies just like zooming in with a higher power microscope.

- Collapse -
Answer
Yip, don't expect miracle.

The upscaler can only do so much. Just enjoy the one that's great.

- Collapse -
Image accepted..

Thanks for the feedback as it makes more sense to me now.
As for my second question, why does the picture quality change drastically during sports scenes (when the camera shoots the entire field) as opposed to when the players look great close up. I've never had this issue before and was wondering if there was something I could do to produce a less patchy, grainy image. As mentioned this only happens with baseball and football (when the camera pans back and shows the entire playing surface).

- Collapse -
Makes more sense

The point about the older cameras does make sense however I don't remember it being an issue on my old 42" Panasonic viera 1080p/240. Perhaps it's the Niger size that I now have (combined with its lower refresh rate?One last thing. What baffles me is that while I'm watching a game in real time, the quality will be good, until they flash back to a highlight from a week/month/year ago and the picture quality changes significantly to the grainy, patchy image I described earlier. This to me doesn't make much sense.

- Collapse -
Correction

The *bigger" size (not Niger of course)

CNET Forums