Question

Why does my mom get kicked off when i stream videos/music?

When im on my laptop, every time i watch a youtube video, stream music, or download music to my itunes my mom's laptop gets kicked off the internet untill it's done. But when im just on facebook or other websites or listening to music on itunes thats already downloaded everything's fine. Any idea whats wrong and how to fix it?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Why does my mom get kicked off when i stream videos/music?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why does my mom get kicked off when i stream videos/music?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Some routers do that.

Without details I can't offer much but do check that the router is current (firmware) and that it's secure (WEP is not secure.)
Bob

- Collapse -
i dont know any details really

all i know is it is a netgear router we got from my uncle and it has WPA security. i dont know how to see if the router is current either.

- Collapse -
Over at netgear.

Are the manuals to (so far) all the routers. Using that I would see what we have and check the version.

Here the setup is:

1. Router defaults.
2. Just what the internet needs to work.
3. WPA or better security.

Any more tweaks and you are possibly over tweaking.
Bob

- Collapse -
okay

so its the PROSAFE WIRELESS-N ACCESS POINT WNAP210.

- Collapse -
Armed with that information did you?
- Collapse -
no

i dont know where or what this "manual" thing is? sorry, im stupid. and i have an hp but it has an amd prcessor, not an intel.

- Collapse -
Then you have to arrange for service.

Not everyone is going to do this work and if folk can't find netgear.com and their product manuals then they should not be changing any settings.

But now that you know the model you can arrange for service.
Bob

- Collapse -
im asking for help for a reason

if i knew how to do this myself i wouldnt be on here right now, but its not like im that stupid. i can find the website. i just dont see the manual. and it doesnt even say manual on the product page. oh and sorry i copied the wrong name for the router its actually the G54 WIRELESS ROUTER WGR614. sorry, my bad. they look pretty much the same cept i accidentally went to the business ones the first time.

- Collapse -
well

ok so in the data sheet it says "Simultaneous downloads, voice, and music" and theres no check next to it. im assuming thats the problem.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

Repeat the search using the right model number bur BEWARE the 614 is known for many rev models.

The 614 is not a good model for heavy use like you note. It may be the best it can be but I'd get the model, rev right and check that firmware.

Remember I never tell anyone HOW TO UPDATE FIRMWARE. The reason is very simple. The maker tells us how and if I copied one step wrong, many folk would be upset with me.

-> You're on your way to do the work. If this is too scary, arrange for someone to do this for you.
Bob

CNET Forums