HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

Question

Why does my computer not boot with external hard drive?

by anorwood1 / January 9, 2015 4:31 AM PST

When my external hard drive is connected via USB to my computer upon booting up it will not boot unless I unplug the external hard drive. Once the computer is up I can re-connect the hard drive with no problem, it just won't me boot up while connected. Can anyone assist with information?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does my computer not boot with external hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does my computer not boot with external hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's a BIOS issue.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 9, 2015 4:39 AM PST

- What computer?
- What motherboard?
- What BIOS?
- USB 2 or USB 3?
- USB on the back or on the front port?
- What does the makers helpdesk say about it?
- Did it ever work on this computer?
- New computer? Then you can make it a warranty issue or a reason to return it.

Kees

Collapse -
Bios Issue
by anorwood1 / January 9, 2015 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: That's a BIOS issue.

The computer is an HP, 64 bit
Not sure abiut motherboard
USB2
USB is in the back
This is a pre-owned computer so no helpdesk available
I believe it worked at one time.

Collapse -
BINGO
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2015 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Bios Issue

You just wrote the magic words. A few years ago my LAST HP (literally) would not boot when my smart phone was plugged in. It would also have mysterious hangs when storage devices were plugged in. THIS DID NOT HAPPEN ON THE DOZEN PLUS OTHER MACHINES IN THE OFFICE.

To make this simple for HP I took it down to one issue. The laptop would not boot when the iPhone was plugged in.

HP failed so badly that it was my last HP and I no longer recommend their products due to them taking a walk on the warranty.

The bug is in the BIOS which HP said "We buy the BIOS" and more. Since HP doesn't have control over that, they could never fix it. Now that's bad enough but at just weeks into owning this model it went to their service center and came back. After their service it would lock up solid (no phone or any changes to the system) in 5 minutes.

Calls to HP ended with "We've done all we could." At 9 months after over 6 months of calls and surveys, I called it quits. HP's non-commitment to warranty issues means they are not a company we can buy from.

Your choice to see if HP can resolve this for you but if I was to do over, I'd go for any other model.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
by jackd1839 / January 13, 2015 1:02 PM PST

Disconnect the HD before turn on the PC. connect it when your OS gets loaded. It wont solve the exact issue but yes it will provide painless path of connection.
Sometimes Priority booting from USB can lead to such situation. Change priority of booting use HD at first position.

Collapse -
Answer
by jackd1839 / January 28, 2015 1:33 PM PST

It could be anything as follow:

Connecting HD before turning on PC can confuse device.
And also BIOS VARIES BETWEEN COMPUTERS.
There could be a possibility that HD contains files in root directory that confuses the PC. Select hidden file from control panel and click on the button which shows hidden file.

Collapse -
by info24help / April 15, 2016 10:57 AM PDT

i have the same issue with my external drive (my book essential) but it never done that till i got a new computer (lenovo) from an older gateway. called WD tech support, he said the computer is reading the drive so the more stuff on there the longer it will take. he suggested to eject or reject drive before re-booting. i asked if anyway around that, but he had no other solution. right now i'm compressing my external drive to see if that will help, only have 19 hours to go (very frustrated)
THERE HAS TO BE A WAY AROUND THIS maybe another type of back up system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.