Laptops forum

General discussion

Why does Michelle Thatcher have a job?

Working for Cnet? I recall the completely uneducated article about Firefox that she dreamed up on a bender one night, but the cake is her recent article on "featherweight" notebooks.

The qualification for such a notebook is that it weighs under 4 pounds. And then she lists the IBM X32, and RIGHT ON THE SPECS SHEET it is listed at 5.5 pounds.

It baffles me that someone of such incompetence could have a nice, wonderful cushy job working for one of the premier websites on the internet. That's not an excusable mistake when you have a position of "assistant editor."

Completely unacceptable.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why does Michelle Thatcher have a job?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why does Michelle Thatcher have a job?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Why does Michelle Thatcher have a job?

Everyone makes mistakes. You should try checking out computerforums.com. I was banned from the site following a little correction of the administrator/moderators.

Collapse -
Blah.

In reply to: RE:

Agreed, but still. Four pounds.... 5.5..... isn't even CLOSE. If you make a LIVING doing reviews for products, and you can't even make a simple categorization of them using your own qualifications.... I have a problem with that.

I knew that someone was up in the article before I even read the specs, because I know without even thinking about it that an X32 is not an ultraportable, or even close. It's a mid-size laptop. Does that make me a geek? Yes. But if you're going to be reviewing products for such a huge website, there is no excuse for making such blatant errors.

Collapse -
Mistakes are made all the time.

In reply to: Blah.

Could they have included a bigger battery in the demo unit? It sometimes isn't clear what the demo unit is since it's an unit that goes to review and they don't send production units all the time but from a review pool of products.

Thanks for the heads up, but why trust mag/other reviews when you can go right to IBM.com and get the specs.

Bob

Collapse -
And here you paid good money to read her article.

In reply to: Blah.

Oh, wait, no you didn't. You could consider cutting her some slack.

I fail to see what's the purpose of this thread. Just to badmouth a CNet editor? What good does that do anybody? What result would you like to see come of this thread? Seriously . . . I'm curious.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!