TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

WHY DO YOU FOLKS LIKE E.D.T.V.?

by stewart norrie / April 13, 2006 8:58 AM PDT

OK its not price you can buy a 1080I t.v. for the same price as a e.d.t.v. It cant be picture quality no way is a e.d.t.v. going to look as good as a 1080I set I have never seen a e.d.t.v. on display NEVER, I figure if someone bought one of those turkeys, they got s-rewd by the salesperson Please tell me why you think e.d.t.v. is a good choice for a t.v. set no way, Also I just read a post about a gentleman who just bought one of those wanna be hi-def t.v. and you said that was a good choice. Problem what happens when this fella sees a real hi-def t.v. he is not going to be very happy LET THE WAR BEGIN STEWART

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHY DO YOU FOLKS LIKE E.D.T.V.?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHY DO YOU FOLKS LIKE E.D.T.V.?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's cheap
by sirroundsound / April 13, 2006 12:57 PM PDT

Sometimes people don't want to wait....

Collapse -
heres why i sell it to customers
by masterying01 / April 13, 2006 1:26 PM PDT

here in chicago, we have a lot of foreign people who only watch foreign channels. these channels will not be in HD for quite a long time. due to the lower resolution on the ED sets, you will see less pixelation on the screen. i watch jadeworld on a edtv panasonic at my cousin's house all the time and it looks great. (as great as sdtv could look). a LOT of people around here watch these channels most of the time. they can care less about nascar racing or hbo in hd. they want to get the best picture possible from their kareokee machines and foreign channels.

also, price makes a big difference. for under $2000, you can get a great EDTV plasma. for $2000, you can get a vizio, gateway, akai, etc...in HD...but look through all these posts and you'll see a lot of people complaining about it. you're gonna have to pay around $2700+ for a great HD plasma.

Collapse -
ED is better then some HD plasma's
by gabereyes / April 13, 2006 3:13 PM PDT

Here is why (stew).
Yes you can buy a Cheap HD plasma for the same price as a good ED plasma, but lets look at the choices, for $1999.99 you can buy a HD plasma by Maxent, Akia, Deawoo, or Gateway and all of these companys OEM from a company called SAMPO, they dont make anything for these TV what they do is buy old cheap parts from, the biger players, they have cheap video Processors, No inputs, maybe two screen modes, and most the time no NTSC, ATSC, or QAM tuners, And if you need a replacement part they dont have them because they dont make them, one more downfall is sometime you cant program a universal remote to operate them.

Or you can buy a ED panasonic or samsung.
240 less lines of Resolution, but as more inputs, better colors, better black level, more screen modes, better video processor, and Tuners if you need them.

Most people cant see the differents, then they read the tag or I tell them, and the get scared away because of people like you.
Id say a Panasonic 42inch ED plasma looks better then the samsung DLP and the Sony LCD projection, they have no bulbs, better color, better blacks, better viewing angles, better brightness to overcome lighting, and there flat.

Collapse -
I don't LOVE edtv but...
by Art / April 13, 2006 4:02 PM PDT

I can live with it ok. When I wanted to try direcTV HD, they said I need to make a 2 years commitment. No way am I going to do that. I might go with dish network one of these day and see what they have to offer.

Collapse -
JUST DID A E.D.T.V. SEARCH
by stewart norrie / April 14, 2006 5:30 AM PDT

Could not find any big box store selling them. The only e.d.yt.v. for sell were on E.bay. I do agree with you that some folks dont care about h.d.t.v. I still believe Mr Doumm got scre-ed. by the salesman, For that huge amound of cash he could have bought a real t.v. no way will back down

Collapse -
I Did A Search And Found Lots Of EDTV's At ......
by RoadRunner6 / April 14, 2006 4:56 PM PDT

.....many stores like Sears, Circuit City, etc. Maybe you better practice your search techniques. BTW, your comments about EDTV's are no more accurate than your search techniques.

RR6

Collapse -
MR DOUMM JUST PAID $1500 for his e.d.t.v. that aint cheap
by stewart norrie / April 14, 2006 8:23 AM PDT

Iam mad as hell because the salesman that sold that set Is probably still spending the $1000 profit he made on that sale. WALLMART HAD A SANYO 40" e.d.t.v. l.c.d. set on a blow out sale for $499 I also saw an ad at Frys Electronice for a 40" plasma tru hi-def 1080" t.v. for $995 It was probably an off brand set but so was mr Doumms t.v. stewart

Collapse -
buy a 1080I t.v. for the same price as a e.d.t.v.
by jcrobso / April 17, 2006 3:36 AM PDT

Not allwise,,,, The only 1080i set you buy for the price of a EDTV is a CRT. And they are becoming extinect.
Now a 720p set for the price of ED??? Can be done.
I would rather have a realy good EDTV than a poor quality 720p set. John

Collapse -
It usually ought to be price
by NM_Bill / April 17, 2006 1:40 PM PDT

A couple posts point out niche situations for ED but, hey it's an interim measure inappropriate for most who want to move up. It's time is limited and I can't help feeling seeing large quantities on sales floors are due to big "deal" dumping prices from manufacturers who felt the need to ramp up production drastically. ED darn well ought to be considerably cheaper. Well, quality does count - want a marginal really off-brand set? There must bea reason Panasonic has half the plasma market.

Collapse -
cheap HD vs nice ED Comparison's
by gabereyes / April 17, 2006 3:30 PM PDT

why would any buy a cheap HD over a name brand ED.

its like buying a base model sports car, with no power window, lock, and a V 4. ya it make sound cool to tell your friend you have a sport ca,r but who cares if you cant get on the highway ramp.

so ask your self, do you want a base model sports car that get passed buy a family car, if so the main thing the Base model car and the cheap HD have in common is they both look better turned off.

Collapse -
if you cant budget a Plasma get a CRT.
by gabereyes / April 17, 2006 3:49 PM PDT

most people have had a 27 to 36 inch TV for 30 years now, why cant they just buy a nice 34inch CRT, if they cant budget a plasma or big screen.

they say there to heavy. but if you carry your TV everywhere you have bigger problems.

they say there to deep, but then they buy a stand thats the same depth to put there flat panel on.

they say there to small of a screen, but most people set 8 to 12 feet back and had a smaller one for how long now.

just tell the truth you want to look cool for your freinds and family, but if they didnt like you before buying a big TV wont help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.