Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why do my folder settings keep resetting?

by Paul / March 29, 2004 8:42 AM PST

When I have a folder filled with music and movie files, I'll usually select "list" under the view menu. When I have a folder full of pictures, I prefer to have the view set to "thumbnails".

Why is it that these folder preferences keep resetting themselves? I'll open a picture folder and the view will be set to "filmstrip", while the music folders will often be set to "icons" and the movie folders will be set to "thumbnails".

Is there any way for me to permanantly set how I want a particular folder to be view, or will XP always default back?

BTW, I'm running XP Pro on a Dell 8300.

Thanks for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do my folder settings keep resetting?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do my folder settings keep resetting?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Why do my folder settings keep resetting?
by Steven Haninger / March 29, 2004 9:06 AM PST

Under Tools/Folder Options/View, make sure you have the box checked to save your view settings.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Why do my folder settings keep resetting?
by Paul / March 30, 2004 1:14 AM PST

I looked under Tools/Folder Options/View and the "remember each folder's view settings" box was already checked. Since my first post, my folder settings have reset again. This is starting to get frustrating!

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Collapse -
Re:Why do my folder settings keep resetting?
by Rollo / March 30, 2004 7:59 AM PST

Hi. First of all, you must be logged on as an Administrator to do this, even though M.S. don't recommend you use XP Pro as an Administrator all the time, especially when connected to any Network. Anyway, in Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, set as many of the defaults to how you want them to be, including the tick box "Remember Folder Settings," then logoff if necessary and logon as your "normal" self. Now, run Windows Explorer, go to Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, and set as many defaults as you can, and then click "Apply to All Folders" button, click Ok and close Windows Explorer. Now you will have to go through all your folders and change the view settings, i.e. List, Details, etc., but these settings should be remembered. However, all versions of Windows (the operating system) only remembers a certain number of folder settings, and once that limit is reached and exceeded, the oldest folder settings are discarded, even your Desktop icons may be re-arranged. Not even TweakUI can stop this, but with it you can at least raise the limit on the number of folder settings Windows remembers. Regards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.