Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

why do links on pages not work behind a transparent iframe

by StGeorge / January 15, 2009 1:35 AM PST

I have scratching my head for weeks over this.
Nobody seems to know.

I have a vertical flyout menu written in css/html and javascript all in one page.

Originally I had this included in my pages but every time I wished to alter the links it involved a serious amount of copying and pasting.

I decided to call on this menu for each page leaving me only one page to edit. The navigation menu.

Presently I have the iframe transparent it works in all browsers including ie. In fact it works in ie better than it does in mozilla browsers, why how can that be you may ask?

The main page content contains links. These links operate fine in ie but in other browsers they do not. The links that do not work are behind the iframe area. I have reduced the area as much as possible but the frame flows over into the page content and that content containd links. The only links that do not work on the page are the ones behind the iframe.

My site is cross browser and from 640 x 480 resolution upwards compatible.

Has anybody got any ideas please?

I am having trouble adding php includes to my site and really do not want to go there at the moment. So I am looking for an iframe solution.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why do links on pages not work behind a transparent iframe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why do links on pages not work behind a transparent iframe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 16, 2009 3:03 AM PST

The links are not within the iframe, they are behind the iframe? I'm surprised to hear that you can click any links in any browser behind an iframe... if the links are covered up, they're covered up (whether you can see them or not).

If you insist on using iframes (which I don't recommend), why not make where users can drag the iframe to the side to access the links... which honestly sounds like a lot of work for the user, but that may be the only solution concerning iframes.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
why do links on pages not work behind a transparent iframe
by muniv_81 / May 12, 2009 10:45 PM PDT

Hi Dude,

Even i'm facing same problem, did you managed to get the solution for the problem. If yes please let me know the solution. Thanks.

Collapse -
Why use an iframe
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 13, 2009 2:37 AM PDT

when you can use SHTML or PHP includes?

~Sovereign

Collapse -
PC based Safari handles iframes OK, but not on iPad. Why?
by fpc2 / September 10, 2010 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Why use an iframe

My website that has an iframe to access links for an external site, works fine. But Safari on the iPad does not show the iFrame nor does it show the contents.

Seems like a bug in the iPad based Safari.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.