Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Why do I need video controller

I had to reinstall XP SP3 due to a virus. I used my motherboard, graphic card too...so why this time the only yellow i see in Device Manager is the one for video controller. I cliced on it and it says no need for driver or something to that effect. What would show up that would make me think that I need it? Prior to my reinstall on the older version there was no yellow mark on it.

Boothbay has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do I need video controller
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do I need video controller
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Boothbay

Collapse -
A decade later and this still happens.

In reply to: Why do I need video controller

I never found out why Windows continues to create install questions. It's been decades and this install area is still busted.

In short, you can't use the device manager and that button. You must use the "install plan" or "restore media" for these machines.
Bob

Collapse -
why do i need video controller

In reply to: A decade later and this still happens.

And now, can u enlighten me what u mean by ''install plan'' and/or restore media''? If your referring to the latter as the 'restore points', there are none cause i just reinstalled xp...still does not answer the gist of my post..."what effect should it have on my pc to see that i really need it?"

Collapse -
Drivers.

In reply to: why do i need video controller

The system needs video card drivers.

That Device Manager offers a button to "Check for updated drivers", but that only seeks drivers from Microsoft itself and we have learnt through (bad) experience that Microsoft does not do 3rd party drivers very well.

So, you need video card drivers for this computer.

Not "System Restore", but the restore media (CD or CDs) that either came with this machine or that you created yourself. One of them should have, (or might have), all the drivers on it.

You don't say what make and model this computer is, but for example, if this was a Dell, you could head over to the Dell web site, input the Service Tag number exclusive to your machine, and you will be able to find all the necessary drivers you need for this particular machine.

Mark

Collapse -
why do i need video controller

In reply to: Drivers.

That is why i used my video card CD to enter all the drivers..but it did not do the trick. Purely by accident, in the process of establishing my pc again with the recent xp installation and some of my programs, i finally got rid of the yellow marker. Apparently, my TV tuner card which i did reinstall took care of that matter. The puzzling part, with that TV tuner not installed, why would i get that yellow marker for video controller in the first place? Ah, Microsoft!!! Thanks to all.

Collapse -
I see drivers noted.

In reply to: why do i need video controller

By "Install Plan" I mean the plan you or the maker created to get Windows installed. Some (most?) folk are blissfully unaware how complicated XP can be to install. Just last month I had to do this for a laptop and it took hours at 150 per hour. Restore media would have been cheaper. 3 hours later it was done. Not that we don't do his a lot but it was a model that had us hunting for drivers.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.