Windows 7 forum

Why do I keep losing e-mails?

by arkie77 / June 10, 2011 12:35 PM PDT

Sometimes, when I'm writing an e-mail, I, inadvertently, hit a key that wipes out the e-mail. It isn't saved in drafts and I can't get it back no matter what I do.. What key do I hit that causes this? it's, especially, worrisome when I'm 90% through a long e-mail. I thank you, beforehand, for any answer that will solve this for me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do I keep losing e-mails?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do I keep losing e-mails?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Difficult to say without knowing details
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 9:25 PM PDT

For example on my laptop with a trackpad for a mouse I was forever deleting things unexpectedly, and the mouse would do other weird things. I decided to disable the trackpad and move to a normal mouse, and that solved my problem.

I can't see what make or model computer you're using, nor what software you use to manage your emails, so all I could suggest is, if it is a laptop, stop using the trackpad.

All Answers

Collapse -
Not an answer, just a tip
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 12:19 AM PDT

Once in a while save it as a draft.

Collapse -
Are you using MSO
by squidie / June 11, 2011 8:34 AM PDT

If you're using MSO then I believe there is an auto-save function in the options panel, or save every xx minutes etc

Collapse -
In my experience this happens when
by peacox / June 14, 2011 8:04 PM PDT

you hit the Ctrl key in mistake for the shift key and then try to correct your error before looking at the screen. For example, if you are trying to type a capital A and get the Ctrl key by mistake you will highlight all of the text in the message. If you then think you may have fumbled the key stroke and assume you may have made a single character error and hit the backspace key to remove the possible error character you will in fact delete all of the text that was highlighted by the original Ctrl A keying.

This is a problem for nontouch typists who look at the keys rather than the screen, so if you think you have made a typing error always look at the screen before trying to rectify it.

Collapse -
Combination Keys
by jamhelmcor / June 14, 2011 8:08 PM PDT

Do not hit the ctrl + F4.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?