Question

Why do I keep losing e-mails?

Sometimes, when I'm writing an e-mail, I, inadvertently, hit a key that wipes out the e-mail. It isn't saved in drafts and I can't get it back no matter what I do.. What key do I hit that causes this? it's, especially, worrisome when I'm 90% through a long e-mail. I thank you, beforehand, for any answer that will solve this for me.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Why do I keep losing e-mails?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why do I keep losing e-mails?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Difficult to say without knowing details

For example on my laptop with a trackpad for a mouse I was forever deleting things unexpectedly, and the mouse would do other weird things. I decided to disable the trackpad and move to a normal mouse, and that solved my problem.

I can't see what make or model computer you're using, nor what software you use to manage your emails, so all I could suggest is, if it is a laptop, stop using the trackpad.

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
Not an answer, just a tip

Once in a while save it as a draft.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Are you using MSO

If you're using MSO then I believe there is an auto-save function in the options panel, or save every xx minutes etc

- Collapse -
Answer
In my experience this happens when

you hit the Ctrl key in mistake for the shift key and then try to correct your error before looking at the screen. For example, if you are trying to type a capital A and get the Ctrl key by mistake you will highlight all of the text in the message. If you then think you may have fumbled the key stroke and assume you may have made a single character error and hit the backspace key to remove the possible error character you will in fact delete all of the text that was highlighted by the original Ctrl A keying.

This is a problem for nontouch typists who look at the keys rather than the screen, so if you think you have made a typing error always look at the screen before trying to rectify it.

- Collapse -
Answer
Combination Keys

Do not hit the ctrl + F4.

CNET Forums