Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why do all Window systems slow down over time?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 31, 2013 7:48 AM PST
Question:

Why do all Window systems slow down over time?

Lee, I learn quite a bit from your members and discussions. I do have a few questions for you about Windows. It appears to me that any version of Windows runs fast when it is new, but slows down dramatically over time. Why is that? Is it the case that every Windows update gets installed each time you turn on your computer? Or other reasons? I am very careful to not have programs like Adobe reader always in memory. Also does this problem exist in other computers not running Windows, or issue I experience exclusive to Windows systems? Any explanation as why this happens would be grateful. And if there is method to prevent the slow downs over time, it would be a bonus to learn about! Thank you.

--Submitted by: Robert G.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why do all Window systems slow down over time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why do all Window systems slow down over time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Swellen folders
by drrasheed / February 16, 2013 11:28 AM PST

I agree to most of your comments.
I also upgraded to Windows 8 utilizing the opportunity until 31 Jan 2013
Even before that I had used the Customer preview of windows 8, for 4 months and was well versed with various modalities of the new inter phase with win 8.
Still, I am yet to get an answer how and why the folders 'users', and 'WinSxS', get bloated up., and what is the solution for that issue. Windows cleaning or de-fragmentation do not have any effect here.

Recently I installed 'Soluto', a very nice software for the lay man to tweak his windows

Collapse -
It's mainly due to good knowledge and cleaning your wares...
by brybhoy1888 / February 16, 2013 2:21 AM PST

I have ran XP in the past before i bought a laptop which has a external drive as i keep some amount of good music ,pictures,programs ect...as i noticed in previous computers i had were almost grinding to a halt with the whole slowing down process. So when i bought this laptop i thought new virgin media broadband 10mb nowt great so then Firefox 18 now as I-E-9 wont work (recover webpage all the time) and yes it takes at least 3/4 minites just for that browser to load but now i really take my time and chill online, so i have a great working set-up and for the life of me defrag as it gets to 28% and throws the towel in then all i have is the back-up left which can be done on to my external drive this after a year odds it only now will back - up again externally. I really thought after all these years things would be so much better online and a good little laptop 3 years down the line and it is just either update central or 10 years to complete a simple back - up. as every program conflicts in one way or another as i can do more on my old apple g4 as there is no registry but slow with graffix but if i could up the auntie then i am sacking windows as it's since windows 95 i sat all my examines in computers years ago as a 45 year old it's honestly one mass joke on us the customer and i feel so sorry for folks who simply dont know computers for one i have always had essentials security,cc-cleaner,camtasia-7(bought), and built-in is some essentials web-building program i do not use and would love to get rid of and office 2007 too as that is a big no-no as it causes so much conflicts as i am told. Why can a simple defrag just stop working ???? why did my back-up stop working ??? I wish there was a way of just simply doing basic cleaning would solve issues and how wrong are we all...cheap crappy imports from cheap crappy countrys ,and O-S that suck badly worse than having a fat lass from Greggs it's that slow.

Collapse -
blame the updates
by wildchatt / February 26, 2013 2:13 AM PST

I have a Vaio desktop that had a 13.6 gig C drive & 250 gig D drive - laughably small by today's standards but top of the line in its day. Even my phone's memory card has more memory than that C drive, so I dumped everything, did a format & restore, which freed everything up again...until Windows updated everything & once again completely filled the C drive.

Collapse -
They do slow down over time
by rgjac / September 4, 2016 7:42 AM PDT

I have used Windows PCs since the 386 processor, built some of them and know quite a lot about hardware and software, so not just a user. The slow OS over time only stopped when I bought a MacBook Pro in 2011. I never had issues with computer speed since, except occasional Parallels problems on the Windows installations. I have the whole Adobe suite running frequently with several programs open, and even with 16GB of RAM, I bet a Windows computer would be down to a crawl. Almost everything I try to install on my Windows laptops take forever, if they get installed at all. What a difference... Microsoft has some work to do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.