Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

Why did static IP setting get changed back to automatic?

by eloisetaylor5693 / June 1, 2013 2:43 AM PDT

I changed the IPv4 settings to use an IP address that I set. A few weeks later I was wondering why I couldn't connect to my MySQL server, and after attempting a few other fixes I spotted that it had reset to "Obtain an IP address automatically".

I have not changed these settings since I initially changed them. It had worked fine for about 2 weeks.

I need the IP address to always be the same, otherwise the users of the database will find that they can't use it.

I don't think that the other users of the system would have reset it, because they wouldn't know how to get to it / wouldn't have a reason to change it.

I think I may well just create a batch script to run periodically to avoid this, but is there a reason why this has happened? Windows Updates? An expiry time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why did static IP setting get changed back to automatic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why did static IP setting get changed back to automatic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My guess is one of the other users
by wpgwpg / June 1, 2013 3:16 AM PDT

I've never seen it change "untouched by human hands" although I suppose some virus or malware might've done it. I'd sure be suspicious about some of the other users that maybe were playing around and changed it, possibly accidentally.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Details Matter.
by sunwatcher / June 1, 2013 9:19 AM PDT

It's not clear from the little detail in your post, but is the PC on a network managed by an administrator? If so, then changes to IP addressing are set by that person, and that is likely the reason it reverted back to DHCP. You would need to speak with the administrator about keeping a static IP for your machine.

If this isn't the case, then please provide more details about your specific network.

Collapse -
Standard PC
by eloisetaylor5693 / June 1, 2013 8:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Details Matter.

No, the PCs administration is managed on the PC itself. At the moment there is only 1 other user on the PC. Everyone is logged into the administrator account.

It's a Windows 7 machine, 64-bit, 4GB machine, with Avast Antivirus and Windows Firewall.

The PC is a MySQL server, and is also used for other general puposes such as browsing the internet, using Word etc. The other PCs access the MySQL DB hosted on that computer.

Please let me know what other information would be useful to further analyse the problem.

Collapse -
Here's one why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2013 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Standard PC

When MSFT updates security issues, settings can get lost. If you feel this is a problem, then you take it up with MSFT. They have a long history of losing settings during updates and from their perspective this is a non-problem as you can set it back.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!