Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why did portable HD change to a local drive?

by Joe Schmuck / March 13, 2008 7:36 AM PDT

I have ). I recently transferred a large assortment of files onto a WD 500 gig portable HD (Life Book) planning to move them to another computer. Something happened during the transfer and now any computer sees this hard drive as a local drive and asks if I want to format it. Everything is in working order with the drive and a file recovery software sees all the files but says the boot file is corrupt. Can anyone help me figure this out. Is there a fix and how do I do it without losing any of the files on the hard drive?

Thank You.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why did portable HD change to a local drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why did portable HD change to a local drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are the files. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 13, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

still on the original hard drive?

Collapse -
Reply to coryphaeus
by Joe Schmuck / March 13, 2008 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Are the files. . .

Nope. That computer is now in use by someone else and I'm sure that HD was formatted and software upgraded... I'm not too concerned about the recent files I was transferring, but there are many other files on the portable HD I need access too.

Collapse -
You may be SOL. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 13, 2008 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to coryphaeus

It's always wise to copy files first instead of move them. For problems such as this, you still have the originals. Maybe someone else will have the answer. Sorry.

Collapse -
Disk Check
by smrtdrmmr / March 13, 2008 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to coryphaeus

Have you tried running a disk check and any other disk repairing software you may have on the drive to see if you can repair whatever corruptions there might be?

Collapse -
by Joe Schmuck / March 13, 2008 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk Check

Thanks for the replies and yes I have done all that with out any luck. With exception to the most recent, I don't have copies of the files. I'm hoping someone who has experience with the boot sector will give me som insight to this delima.

Thanks again for your input so far.

Collapse -
But there should not be any data to be recovered
by ahtoi / March 13, 2008 6:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

from the boot sector (especially if this is an external harddrive). The important thing is to recover the rest of the datas on this harddrive. You stated that the recovery software can see it. So maybe that is what you should do ..recover the datas.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?