Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Why computer randomly shuts down

by lareau12 / April 16, 2013 2:22 AM PDT

Hi,

I have an HP Pavillion with a phenom 925 quad core processor with 8 g of ram.

My computer shuts down at various times through out the day and sometimes it may not shut off at all during the day.

I have replaced the following:

CPU fan and heatsink twice in a year.

Re did the thermal paste recently

Replaced the hdd as I was getting an smart error when i ran looking for hardware problems

Replaced the power supply with a 600 watts which is a more powerful one than the orginal.

After this was all done, my computer was still overheating and the temps would run 55c tp 80 c.

Just recently I had the BSOD and was unable to restore to a previous version and the repair was unsuccessful. So I re-installed windows.

Initially after I installed Windows 7 the temps were running really low between 27-35c. But now the temps are 27c - 55c and it still shuts down

Every time the computer shuts down, Core Temp showed that my CPU was only around 50-60c and it is my understanding that my CPU is overheating at 70c.

And the computer still keeps shutting down periodically sometimes with no error and at other times it states it is shutting down due to overheating.

Computer specs

HP Pavillion

AMD Phenom II x4 925 processor 2.80 GHz

8 g ram

Windows 7 64 bit

1 tb hdd

2 dvd drives (1 internal and 1 external

1 external hdd

head phones and speakers

Power supply 600 watts

and a printer.

I run Nortons internet security which is running all the time

I play WOW on this computer but right now I am not able to since it can shut down while I am playing.

My daughter plays sims 3, mindcraft and likes to watch youtube videos plus club penquin and wizard 101.

I ran a diagnostics and it states the everything is working as it should including the memory.

my computer has been running with out the side of the case for a year now and I have cleaned out all the dust several times within the year.

Everytime I replaced the cpu and heatsink it seemed to work for the short time appox 6 months and then it starts acting up again.

The only thing that I can think of is replacing the motherboard. I was trying to find some software that can test the motherboard but have been unsuccessful so I am not sure if there is such a program. I also was looking for a program that will actually show the CPU temps when the computer shuts down as I leave core temps up at all times and I keep an eye on it and every time it shuts off it shows no more than 50c.

When I check the event viewer I get the following erros at time of shut down:

Kernal-power,

event id 41
level: Critical
User: system
OpCode: info
task code (63)
Keywords (2)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

lareau12 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why computer randomly shuts down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why computer randomly shuts down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by lareau12

Collapse -
Two Things.. No Mention Of Thermal Paste..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 4:55 AM PDT

I'm just making sure here, since you didn't mention it in your details,,,,, Are you applying a thin film of thermal paste between the heatsink and PCU each time you replace it?

And if you're overclocking your computer, the RAM settings in the BIOS or bad RAM can cause this issue.

And next, see both of the links below which discuss your issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/308cbcb3-46ce-4f74-85f9-d87ce4cef0d6/

http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~the_imai/etymology/kp41_en.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
computer shut down reply
by lareau12 / April 16, 2013 7:58 AM PDT

I did put a thin layer of thermal past when I put the cpu fan and heatsink in.

I am not overclocking my computer as far as I know of. I don't even know how to overclock it. Unless it is something I can do in error.

The only parts that haven't been replaced is the memory which I don't think it is since is passes the mem test under diaganositc and the motherboard.

I replaced the CPU about a year ago when I replaced the first fan.

I don't want to go the the manufacturer since they will charge me to call them and it is no longer under warranty as this computer is approx 3 yrs old.

Collapse -
Thanks for the links
by lareau12 / April 16, 2013 8:08 AM PDT

Thank you for the links. I am going to try what they suggest and see if that makes a difference. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you,

Collapse -
24 hrs and computer hasn't shut down
by lareau12 / April 17, 2013 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the links

I did some of the things suggested in the link above and it has been about 24 hrs and the computer hasn't shut down. So hopefully it works as some days it just doesn't shut down. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. If I have the same problem in the future, I will re-post again. Closing this post for now.

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try the cover off test?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 2:40 AM PDT

I see you mention temperatures but what about the temp of all other parts? It's a fact that other parts can get too warm so do the cover off test. Point a fan at the open box and try again.
Bob

Collapse -
computer shuts down
by lareau12 / April 16, 2013 4:43 AM PDT

Cover is off and has been off. I already tried running a fan next to it and that didn't make a difference either

I forgot to mention that the video card is also new about a couple of month because if there was something wrong with it. I have a nvidia 620.

All fans in the computer are working.

At first I was thinking the motherboard as the temps would be 50c -68 c even when I first turn it on. So I thought the temps were wrong. But after installing Windows 7 the temp were running cooler 27c - 50 c.

Right now it is at 31c.

Collapse -
See Grif's reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: computer shuts down

If the thermal paste is compromised the heat can spike faster than your software can detect it and it will shut down.

However if you look around there are far too many posts about that CPU and system. That's why you want to talk to the maker about this system. If they can't fix it, you want another CPU and system.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Why computer randomly shuts down
by pcandsoftware / April 17, 2013 7:40 PM PDT

A computer that randomly shutdown without warning is usually caused by a heat related issue. Many computers today are designed to turn off automatically if the computer, processor, or other device gets too hot.

Collapse -
Cannot be a heating problem
by lareau12 / April 17, 2013 10:37 PM PDT

This can't be a heating problem as I have replace the heatsink and fan several times in a year and I refuse to think that my fan and heatsink won't last more that a few months. However, I do have a new fan to put in it, if I need to as it is more powerful that the one I have in it now. It is just that I have to take the whole computer apart to install it per the instructions since it is a universal fan and heatsink, I would need to install the brackets that came with it. I have taken the heatsink and fan off recently and re-applied the thermal paste and it was still shutting down. Some days it shuts down more than others. On the 16th, my computer shut down 6 times in the morning till about 11:30 am as the last time it shut down. My case is off and has been since this issue started again after 6 months of replacing the heatsink and fan. Beside I run Core Temps and it is no where near overheating temperatures. Right now it is at 31c but has gotten as hot as 61c and that is probably when we are playing games,

since that time my computer hasn't shut down so time will tell today. I did do a few things that were suggested by selecting the links provided, but I haven't done all of the things suggested in the links as I wanted to narrow it down to what it could be. So now I am just waiting to see if it shuts down again today or within the next few days.

If I can't get this resolved, I guess I am going to have no choice but get a new computer. I was planning on starting to buy material little by little and build my own computer that way I get all the hardware that I want and not was is supplied with one already pre-made.

But anyways, I am just hoping that it doesn't shut down again. I told my daughter as she uses more than I do, to let me know if it shuts down again

Collapse -
Just for grins...what HS Fan are you using ?
by VAPCMD / April 19, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

Even though I don't overclock or play games, I run 24/7 and I've always subscribed to the theory that continuously running 10-15c cooler over the stock unit is better. Spending $20 to $40 on a decent aftermarket HS Fan has been money well spent for me. You can spend much more and I have done that one or twice but you don't need to do that for most computers.

For more info on them .... http://www.frostytech.com the've tested and reported on many if not most of the commercially available units.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?