Question

Why can't I open pdf documents without saving them first?

I had always been able to open pdf documents on website until I downloaded Adobe Reader 11. Now I have to save them first. I took this up with Adobe direct and got nowhere. What I get is a white cross in a small black box in the top left corner of the screen.
I have sometimes a similar problem with viewing pictures via Windows Explorer, although not with Firefox.
I am running Windows 7 on a PC.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Why can't I open pdf documents without saving them first?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why can't I open pdf documents without saving them first?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Rew: Adobe reader

Did you set your preferences in Adobe Reader to open the file in a separate (Adobe) window or is it opened in the browser window? That's a different value for that setting, and a different behaviour. One of them might be what you want.

If no luck, try Foxit or Nitro reader as an alternative for Adobe Reader. The last time I installed Foxit it wanted to install the Ask toolbar in my browser, so mind the checkboxes when installing!

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Is it Firefox that's giving you the biggest problem?

If so, there's a lot of that going around. FF added it's own PDF viewer over the last few revisions and it's enabled by default. If that's your problem, you want to go to Tools/Options/Applications and look for the PDF entry. If you see it say to use the Firefox viewer, change it to use either Adobe Acrobat or to use Adobe Acrobat in Firefox...meaning its plugin. You should then be able to view and save this file type as you did before. Good luck.

- Collapse -
Answer
Did you try this fix?
- Collapse -
Answer
Why can't I open pdf documents without saving them first?
- Collapse -
Opening documents and pictures

Further to previous posts, this problem appears to be confined to Internet Explorer, as there is no difficulty in opening anything on Firefox.

The solution must therefore relate to IE rather than Adobe. Any suggestions please.

- Collapse -
I suggest you consider the past. That is, history.

Opening PDFs inside the browser has been a problem for many years. I can only guess you are new to computers and didn't know that Adobe's browser integration didn't always work and today has been known to fail.

That's why they provide a check box in some control to disable browser integration.

I must ask a question. Are you encountering folk that think such problems are solved? Never happen?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Hello,

Ya, you are absolutely right,such a nice post it is ,i think want to go to Tools/Options/Applications and look for the PDF entry. If you see it say to use the Firefox viewer, change it to use either Adobe Acrobat or to use Adobe Acrobat in Firefox,meaning its plugin mode .You should then be able to view and save this file type as you did before as far as my concern as well.

- Collapse -
Opening pdfs

Sorry, but I don't understand this

CNET Forums

Forum Info