Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why can't I access certain websites?

by RalphDV / December 3, 2008 12:07 PM PST

I have recently been unable to access some of my favorite websites even though I've never had a problem with the sites in the past. I haven't been banned from the sites that I know of since they are not interactive sites and I've never had a opportunity to post anything taboo or done anything that is against the TOS of the sites. In fact, they're news/informational sites. Friends and family can access the sites from their computers so that tells me the sites aren't down or experiencing slow load times.

Here are a couple of the sites that are giving me problems:

I'm running Windows XP on a new loaded Dell XPS630.

I use both Firefox and IE and neither will load the sites.

I've checked my favorites to make sure the url is correct.

I've found other sites which have links to these sites that are giving me trouble and the links on those other sites also will not take me to the page(s) I'm wanting.

Googling both sites and attempting access from the google results gets me a time out message every time.

I've done the cache clearing thing for both browsers to no avail.

My son recently installed Microsoft Flight Simulator on this machine and while I don't think that has caused the problem it does make me wonder since I noticed the problem a day or two after flight sim was installed.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to correct it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why can't I access certain websites?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why can't I access certain websites?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Still no help
by RalphDV / December 4, 2008 6:39 AM PST

Need some help with this. Anyone??

Collapse -
What Happens When You Attempt To Access The Sites?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Still no help

Are there errors? Have you checked your HOSTS file to see if those sites are listed there? Such a listing would block those sites..

Just for kicks, see if it's a winsock issue by downloading, then running the free tool below to repair internet connection software on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Still no go
by RalphDV / December 4, 2008 1:04 PM PST

Grif, thanks for the response. I downloaded and ran the winsock utility but that didn't help. I also saw nothing suspicious in the misc. file you suggested I take a look at.

Is it possible my ISP (Comcast) has for some reason blocked these sites or perhaps a range of IP numbers which includes the specific numbers assigned to the troublesome sites?

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Grif or whomever can help
by RalphDV / December 5, 2008 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Still no go

I'm still unable to access the websites mentioned in my original post. I just now called Comcast and they told me they do not block access to any websites and the tech said my problem is with some sort of blocking software on my computer. I disagreed with him as I have not knowingly installed any such application but he insists therein lies the trouble. He gave me a number to call Microsoft to discuss my problem with them. Naturally it was just my luck that when I called the number I got a recording that the number could not be reached from my calling area so here I am with the unresolved problem. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
What About Your HOSTS File?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2008 6:16 AM PST

Have you checked the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\HOSTS file.. Its a file designed to block "bad" sites and occasionally, the wrong sites are added to it.. Open the HOSTS file (no file extension) by using Notepad.. If the sites you've mentioned are listed there, delete them..

In addition, some find that other antispyware programs such as Spybot have "immunization" lists which include such sits..

Some have even found that flushing the DNS Cache or resetting the router fixes the issue.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank you Grif
by RalphDV / December 5, 2008 12:18 PM PST

Thanks so much for your help. I can't explain it but the sites will now open for me. I didn't do a thing to make that happen since the last time I tried accessing the sites a few hours earlier. Go figure.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?