Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

Question

Why can't Canadian customers update defective 4.1.1 OS ?

by NorrineLK / April 17, 2014 7:26 AM PDT

On June 29th 2013 I purchased a Samsung Galaxy 2.7 tablet p3113.

I have been very happy with this, so much so that I also purchased a Samsung Chromebook. I purchased this tablet primarily for use in my business, as it is compatible with some other services I use, and I have been recommending this Samsung tablet to many other locally operated small businesses.

However, I can no longer responsibly use this tablet for any potentially sensitive business transactions because it is using the 4.1.1 Android operating system that Google has warned is vulnerable to the Heartbleed security code defect.

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.ca/2014/04/google-services-updated-to-address.html

And one of the most important financial services my business uses has told me it is no longer safe to use their services on my Samsung tablet because it is running the vulnerable 4.1.1 OS.

I have repeatedly tried to find a way to update my OS to a later, more secure version of the Android OS, and I see where people in other countries like the US and UK have had the updated more secure OS made available for the same p3113 tablet months ago.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-2/746480-does-everyone-still-have-4-1-1-a.html

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-2/693441-android-4-1-2-a.html

As far as I can see, it is not like it would be difficult for Samsung to offer a way for Canadians to fix this.

But no one at Samsung seems to be able to tell me how to get this non defective updated OS in Canada. I have tried the settings>About Device>search for updates . and even downloaded Kies and connected my device only to see that for this device, the 4.1.1 OS is the most up to date OS available in Canada.

My device is still under warranty, but because of this problem I can no longer use it safely.

Please, can someone help me to find a way get this defective 4.1.1 OS system updated on a Samsung 2.7 Galaxy table p3113?

If this cannot be done by customers in Canada, could someone please explain why this cannot be done here, but can be done if a customer is in the US or UK?

There has to be many many other Canadians facing the same problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why can't Canadian customers update defective 4.1.1 OS ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why can't Canadian customers update defective 4.1.1 OS ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Link doesn't show update for
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2014 12:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
I feel I have tried everything....I am very frustrated
by NorrineLK / April 17, 2014 1:51 PM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion Bob, but I have already tried that. I think I have tried pretty much everything. I am completely flabbergasted to see how little a warranty actually means.

After getting repeatedly being told that Samsung does not think there is any real security problem with the 4.1.1 OS, and after repeatedly sending them evidence the 4.1.1 OS does have a security problem, I was at last directed to where and how to download an updated OS system that did not work for me ( probably because I am in Canada and for some reason only people in the US can upgrade)

So I asked Future Shop where I purchased this less than a year ago to honor the 1 year warranty and to either find an updated OS I can use to fix this, or give me another similar tablet with a less vulnerable OS.

They told me I could bring the tablet in and they would send it off to Samsung to be fixed. Which is silly. Why should I be without the use of all the functions on my tablet for weeks when Samsung has the more secure OS available for people with the same tablet in the US and UK to download, in an hour? Do they think everyone they sold this defective tablet to in Canada should return it to them, and be without the device for weeks, so Samsung can personally download an updated OS onto it? If they believe the OS is defective as Google says, it seems Samsung should make the update easily available to anyone with a device still under warranty. If they do not believe Google, and they really think there is nothing wrong with the 4.1.1 operating system, then why would they be willing to give me a free upgrade to a 4.2 OS that I am not otherwise eligible to receive in Canada, if I send them the device?

I am trying not to give onto my frustration and go off on a rant, and to stay with the practical problem I need help with, but it is not easy. IMO the run around I have gone through trying to find a solution to this is just wrong.

Oh and I should add my tablet says it is a P3113UECLK7, and the Kies software Samsung told me to download to fix the problem said the most recent firmware update available to me is PDA-LK7/CSC:LK7(XAC) which is what is already on my device PDA-LK7/CSC:LK7(XAC)

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2014 12:43 AM PDT

I wish I was hearing better news but between the makers that didn't plan on long term support on issues like this and what you read at CNET the story is pretty dark.

I feel I'm lucky to have gone overseas to work with Asian companies so it may take time for Samsung to address this. What I don't have any hope for are the millions of 99 buck Android tablets that have no name. At least yours is a name.

Given the story, and yes I lived in Canada and know how rough customer service is at that company is, I'd ask for a refund and move on.
Bob

Collapse -
The fix exists, it is just is not available in Canada
by NorrineLK / April 18, 2014 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I hear you.

Bob, I could understand it if someone was having to write a whole new OS for old Samsung android devices that are past the warranty date. But the more secure 4.2.2 OS has existed for months, and people with the same tablets in other countries had the update automatically sent out to their devices months ago. This is a problem of access to services in Canada, not that the more secure, device compatible android 4.2.2 OS does not exist, or that the problem is just too hard to solve.

And as my tablet is still under warranty, I do expect the OS to be maintained, at least to the degree that the device is safe to use.

If these are not fair and reasonable expectations, I would like to know what the problem is.

Collapse -
All I can offer is to be a proxy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2014 1:41 AM PDT

Give me the URL of the file/pages and I'll put it up on dropbox for you to pickup.
Bob

Collapse -
I think using a proxy would void the warranty
by NorrineLK / April 18, 2014 1:55 AM PDT

Bob, I am not very competent technologically, but from everything I have been reading the only way to get an update not officially released by Samsung, involves hacking the device. As my device is used for my business and I have a responsibility to keep my customers information on a secure system, I cannot risk this.
<div>
Also I think something in the registration on my p3113 shows I am in Canada. The Samsung Kies software I downloaded was from the US site, which provides the firmware 4.2.2 upgrade for people in the US and as far as I know ( very little) this Kies download should not be any different for someone downloading it in Canada, but the only OS / firmware available to me is the one I have, PDA-LK7/CSC:LK7(XAC)

When I posted this I had noticed someone from Samsung was replying to people and trying to help. I was hoping they would see this and be able to find a solution for Canadians.

But your attempt to help is appreciated! Thank you!
</div>

Collapse -
One more thing. Did you check fus? (that's an app!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2014 2:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
How would my product code get corrupted?
by NorrineLK / April 18, 2014 3:57 AM PDT

Thank you again Bob, and I hope nothing I said implied I thought you had created or contributed to this mess!

I think this whole security problem has caught everyone off guard, and the large companies with affected products probably never considered what response might be appropriate to the many repercussions of a situation like this.

I read through the discussion on the XDA forum. I barely understand what they are talking about. I am just a middle aged person who has few technical skills. But it sounded like maybe this corrupted code might be something that happens to devices that have been "rooted" Whatever that is. The word rooted in my vocabulary applies to plants and trees only...

I guess it is possible that the problem is not that the update is not available to Canadians (this is something I concluded by reading many people saying it wasn't, but that was months ago so maybe the problem is on my end, with my product code?)

But the google play store app mentioned on the XDA forum to check and see if you have corrupted code is not free, I do not have an account with Google wallet, and I am not wanting to do any financial transactions linking my tablet with it's security problems to a credit card.

I also wonder how this product code could have become corrupted on my device. I am an extremely cautious user and have never done anything or downloaded anything that seems likely to have created a problem. In the tablet world, my device is like the car that the little old lady only drove to church on Sunday. I never download anything from anywhere without checking out where it is coming from first and I have only used apps like AVG, a couple of very reputable apps related to my business, netflixs, google key board. Very tame stuff. I have never reset anything.

If my product code could have been corrupted by such gentle use, would using the factory reset bring it back?

Collapse -
All good questions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2014 4:05 AM PDT

I think I've done as much as I can here. It's a shame I can't get the file or update for you but as it stands it's a clear (to me) warranty issue. Not that 1 year type warranty but the other where the issuer of the OS is on the hook for more.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung has offered a fix
by NorrineLK / April 26, 2014 4:16 AM PDT

Just a quick update.

Samsung and the store I purchased this device have offered a fix, which will work, even if it is not, IMO, the most energy efficient approach to this problem. ( At this point, this does not appear to be access to the updated 4.1.2 or beyond OS for this device in Canada) But maybe I am one of only a few people with this problem.

If anyone else has this problem, all I can suggest is to contact Samsung or the retail outlet where it was purchased.

Though it took a while and involved talking to a lot of people who did not seem to understand the problem, from the response it seems Samsung does care, and it does want to honor it's warranty. Which makes me feel better about continuing to enjoy the products I have from his company!

Collapse -
Warranty?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2014 4:21 AM PDT

All the warranties I read do not extend to bug fixing. Also, the problem is made worse as we move to any Cellular device as the carrier often wants to be in control of updates so it may not be Samsung not delivering. In this case it's just a WiFi connection so it's time to ask for a refund if they don't deliver. Plenty of other tablets out there.

And before I forget, there's always XDA Developers with other firmware.
Bob

Collapse -
warranties and bug fixing
by NorrineLK / May 2, 2014 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Warranty?

Bob, legal interpretations are complicated and even lawyers frequently disagree about which interpretation is correct.

As I understand it, the bottom line in most warranties is a guarantee that the device will be usable for normal use, and safe to use, for at least the period of the warranty.

How I see it, the operating system is an essential component in any device used online, and any flaw that was built into the devices operating system, whether by the manufacturer or someone the manufacturer employed, which that makes the device unsafe for normal use, is the manufacturers responsibility to fix, if the device is still under warranty.

But that is just my opinion and maybe I am mistaken... I do not know much about other precedents that may have been set, or if similar situations have come up with other products, which even though they were still under warranty, were decided to not be the manufacturers responsibility to fix..

Collapse -
And to make this too much legal wrangling
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 6:36 AM PDT

The manufacturer of the tablet did not make the OS. It's like you taking Dell to task over Microsoft's gaffes.

Someday some a lawyer will figure this out and make a trillion dollars.
Bob

Collapse -
OK, how about this old bug?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 6:42 AM PDT
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4991

This one showed up in 2009 and I still see it happen today.

My question to you is thus.

Q. Should the manufacturer, which in this case is Samsung correct such bugs?

Or is it just a sign how much rope we have given the industry?
Bob
Collapse -
simply normal product limitations or defect?
by NorrineLK / May 2, 2014 9:07 AM PDT

Bob, I am not at all familiar with the product being discussed that you linked to, but it sounds like people are unhappy because once the devices memory is full, nothing more can come in and there is no notification.

Maybe I misunderstood the issue as I have no experience with this device, but almost all products have design elements that are not as well thought out as they could be. But bad design elements are not really a fundamental defect that prevents people from generally being able to safely use the product as intended. Those annoying features are more a design limitation people have to find a way to live with, or find a device that better meeets their needs.

My Samsung Chromebook also had limited memory and if I exceed it's capacity, I think it starts deleting the oldest stuff. I see it as my responsibility to work within the limits of it's memory, not that there is something wrong with the device.

And my galaxy tablet could not play anything requiring flash player. I did not see that as a defect. Just a design limitation.

But the built in basis of the OS security encryption seems like something a lot more essential to the safe functioning and general usability of the device.

How I see it anyways.

Collapse -
If you check the bug out
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 11:09 AM PDT

There's more than ample memory to do SMS. SMS messages are 160 characters in length and there are megabytes free. It's one of those head scratchers why this one continues to live on.

Why I brought it up is that we are indeed living in strange times where the manufacturer can't fix what they make and we bought into this!
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!