Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why are they still there !!

by scottyyaa / May 16, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

I know when you delete any installed software it will not totally delete ,, For instance I recently installed and deleted I-Tunes. I have an application that can analyze the registry and found that I-Tunes left a list 5 miles long.. (google earth) which I installed and deleted 3 times left a giant swath on my hard drive also. Some others don't leave as much.
I am an interested amatuer and know enough about the registry and this utility software I have, to do an educated crash on my laptop. 3 times already. My repair guy looks at me funny.
So, how can I get some space back in my hard drive, probably a couple of Gigs.. Are there any really good utilty programs I shoud know about? I would really like to know this registry stuff. Can you recommend a book !!
I am doing all of this in an Acer Aspire 1640 notebook SP3 and IE8 updated. It is about 4 years old but it works great !!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are they still there !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are they still there !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / May 16, 2010 12:23 PM PDT

Well, I can tell you that the reason they get left behind is because they were created AFTER the program was installed, so the uninstaller has no idea they exist.

That being said, the Windows registry is probably something best left forgotten by anyone who isn't a professional programmer or tester/debugger. That includes registry cleaners/fixers/whatever which have a long sorted history with causing people to wind up with a bricked system. As far as I'm concerned, the whole lot of them are nothing more than a scam. Absolutely none of them will offer up any kind of information on the selection criteria used, which screams snake oil to me.

There are a bunch of myths floating about regarding the registry. How it's some secret repository of hidden tweaks, or that removing unneeded entries will speed up your system. As with pretty much every myth, they aren't true. You go spelunking in the registry at your own peril, and will tend to get little sympathy from anyone here if you break something. And if you're looking to reclaims space, the registry is the last place you should be looking. The most you'll likely ever save from the registry is a few bytes.

There are books on the registry from Microsoft's publication arm Microsoft Press, but they're all written for programmers by programmers. Mostly because those are the only people who should be messing around in there. If you've reached a level where you can understand that book, odds are you can use the information in it wisely, or at least safely.

I don't bother with utility programs. I think it's important you know how to do the tasks yourself first. Like learning the multiplication table. Once you can do things for yourself if need be, you can make the choice to use some program, and be in a position to assess them all on your own.

Now, if you're looking to gain a lot of firsthand experience with malware detection and removal, keep right on using IE. Otherwise, I'd strongly suggest any other browser. I'll leave it to others to debate why, I'm content with the fact that IE is the ONLY browser that has any kind of malware problem... Period. It has tens of thousands, if not millions, of unique bits of malware... All other browsers might have a dozen or less. I don't care how bad at math you might be, those are easy odds to calculate. Can't do much about buying an Acer system now, but maybe you'll be one of the lucky few who gets a working system.

Collapse -
to the lady who cant delete all of itunes please read
by cashew55 / May 16, 2010 7:14 PM PDT

in answer to your question why is your itunes stuff still there? well i can help with that there is a thing you download for free, its called revo uninstaller, it is great, it is almost do it your self you dont need to know much about it, download it and then let it. save it to your desktop then double click it let it set up then let it run, after that it'll bring up all the programs u have on your putter and u click on what you want unistalled, then click unistall it then will get rid of that program, then it'll have a space that says run and you will then run and when it does that it finds little bits of peices that itunes left behind in dark black then you click those and click uninstall. that gets rid of all the left overs that alot of things leave behind, i did learn that much about removing or deleting thing, because things still stay behind and nothing really gets deleted. so this revo is really great try it. read about it firts and you'll love it, you'll never go to add/remove again you'll always use revo.

Collapse -
about revo
by cashew55 / June 22, 2010 9:21 AM PDT

yes that is a good thing to have but it only works while you have the thing you want to remove in add/remove or else once you removed i-tunes the parts left behind are too late to be found by revo but you can use search type in i-tunes wait till done and delete all it finds. or you can go to start window explorere and look for any left over folders that say i tunes and delete them but revo is the best about removing i love it too.

Collapse -
I second Jimmy on this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 8:05 PM PDT

Your registry will not be the cause of any lost disk space you believe you have. It is just a glorified database and it's size is minimal to anything that you install.

Your disk space will be taken up by other things. For example, look into your System Restore backup files under the System Volume Information folder and sub-folders, all of which are usually hidden. You can either use XP's Disk Cleanup to remove all but the last Restore Point set of files, or you can disable System Restore which will delete all backup files, then immediately re-enable it, and create a new restore point.

Also, have a look at CCleaner, a useful utility for finding and cleaning out all TEMP folders, and Temporary Internet Files. It has a registry cleaner option, but we avoid that.

Since this is a 4 year old Notebook I would guess that the hard drive is not massive to start with, 60GBs or so? Notebooks are designed as travelling companions and huge storage capacity is not considered a pre-requisite, so you will always have to 'manage' hard disk space with this machine.

Mark

Collapse -
So what do I do !!
by scottyyaa / May 17, 2010 8:42 PM PDT

Thanks for your replys ,, But I still dont know how to reclaim this space without wiping and reformating the OS to it's original state.

At this time, if I do that, I wont be able to replace some programs like MCS Office which did not come with the laptop purchase.

I just cannot believe the few programs that are installed in this machine will take up 9.3 Gigs of Hard Drive. That number was a lot bigger until I started messing around.

I know how to find the files but not sure how to delete them.

Collapse -
Did you try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 8:47 PM PDT
In reply to: So what do I do !!

the System Restore flip and the CCleaner software I mentioned?

If so, how much space was recovered with those?

Mark

Collapse -
Re: programs
by Kees Bakker / May 17, 2010 8:55 PM PDT

"I don't know how to reclaim this space."
What space exactly? You didn't really tell about it.

"I know how to find the files"
What files? You didn't much, if anything, about files and folders.

"messing around"
Never do unless you know what you're doing. Do you?

Kees

Collapse -
You will need to
by Jimmy Greystone / May 17, 2010 11:16 PM PDT

You will need to find files or programs that you no longer use, and delete them. That's the only way you'll regain any significant amount of disk space.

Disk management is on you, the user. Only you know what is and isn't important to you, so there's no programs or anything anyone else can really do. You will have to take it upon yourself to learn the necessary skills to do this effectively. The alternatives are to keep buying ever larger hard drives, or formatting and starting over at regular intervals.

Collapse -
Program Files ??
by scottyyaa / May 18, 2010 9:27 AM PDT

OK ,,This acer of mine is actually using 16.7 gigs out of 26.2 on the C:\drive section ,, The D:\ is also 26 gigs Ttl, is not using much, 1.78 just holding the OS recovery, about 52 gigs split by a partition in this notebook,

I think 16.7Gigs is holding a lot of nothing for what is installed in this one, and only about 2 gigs of pics, music and docs,,
Would it be safe to start by going to C:\program files\ and delete the folders of the ones I thought were deleted allready (google earth, I tunes etc). Thats one way I see it.

To the guy who recomends Ccleaner and the restore flip ,, well I have Ccleaner and it does well for Temp.I-net files and the like. I can get 50 80 MBs depending on how frequent I use it ,, but the registry feature didnt get much. Registry programs will cause problems!!

I have been using another one, and if I do a scan on say an empty folders selection I get 2249 items and 3/4 of them are I tunes, listed as: C;\programfiles\iTunes\iTunes.resources\da.lproj or TW.lproj or CN.lproj and a few others. I can find some other detailed listings in another section , I really want to delete them but I dont think so. Until I can afford a new machine(Get Money) I will leave that alone. Curiosity got the cat.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?