Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why are my video file icons "raw image" now??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are my video file icons "raw image" now??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are my video file icons "raw image" now??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try Renaming To The Old File Extension

In reply to: Why are my video file icons "raw image" now??

Collapse -
Hmmm

In reply to: Try Renaming To The Old File Extension

Not sure how to do that. =/

Collapse -
Renaming Files

In reply to: Hmmm

Navigate to the file, RIGHT click directly on the file, choose "Rename".. If the files are RealPlayer audio files, then rename the the file to "something.mp3", "something.wav", or "something.ra" etc.

For RealPlayer videos/movies, depending on the default file types you have set, it could be "something.rm", or "something.avi", etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks....

In reply to: Renaming Files

OK. But the weird thing is, the files are for videos & most have the flash video extension ( "flv" ) already on them. I have Real Player & another called VLC media player installed.

Guess I ought just make em all "IVR" for the Real Player?
(& man, do I have a LOT of them to do manually...)

Collapse -
Why Didn't You Say So...

In reply to: Thanks....

.flv files are indeed Flash video files.. And since you already have a file extension for each of the files, all you need to do is change the icon type. Simply RIGHT click on one of the files, choose "Open With", then select "Choose Program" from the menu. When the "Open With" window loads, place a CHECK mark in the box that says: "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", then look through the various programs at the top of the window and double click on RealPlayer.. The icon for ALL of the .flv files will now change to a RealPlayer icon.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It does help

In reply to: Why Didn't You Say So...

Thanks again.

Though the icons themselves still look like "raw image" after I do that.

Collapse -
(NT) Strange..The Icons Change To A RealPlayer Icon Here..?

In reply to: It does help

Collapse -
Yeah

In reply to: Strange..The Icons Change To A RealPlayer Icon Here..?

It changed to the Real Player icon when I did the 'IVR' extension. But when I tried the same w/ my VLAN media player, nuttin. =/

I guess in the end, if it changes w/ RP, I should just go with it, but I don't like the looks of it.

I had been experimenting w/ a few file recovery software programs I downloaded from Download.cnet (including Nero) Maybe somewhere along the line, one of them messed up the icons?

Collapse -
disturbing

In reply to: Why Didn't You Say So...

I use Firefox & I use an add-on called DownloadHelper with it.

Now it seems that when I download vids, I'm seeing that "raw image" icon in the the download progress dialog box that pops up. Never did that before.

I tried uninstalling & reinstalling the add-on & still the same.

I just don't like the looks of it.

Any advice?

Collapse -
Don't Use Such Download Helper/Accelerators..

In reply to: disturbing

In my opinion, they can only cause issues. Firefox and Internet Explorer are able to download files perfectly fine without them.

Years ago, I tried a couple accelerators and removed them in a heartbeat.. I never looked back and since then, I've downloaded many files from a few kb in size to some which are 5 or 6 GBs..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: Don't Use Such Download Helper/Accelerators..

I've never tried to do that without the use of an add-on.

Simple to do?

Collapse -
It's Automatic..

In reply to: hmm

Click on a download link.. It opens a download dialogue window, choose "Save File" and it downloads to your default location as indicated in the Firefox settings (Tools/Options/Main tab)...

Or RIGHT click on a download link, choose "Save Link As". A dialogue box opens where you choose the folder you want to save the file to, then click on the "Save" button. The file is downloaded to your favorite folder.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: It's Automatic..

Well, the videos I try to DL are Youtube vids. Not sure that site offers dl options. (& it Def' doesn't work on Youtube w/ Right clicking)

Collapse -
btw...

In reply to: It's Automatic..

Rather than trying to pick apart this annoying raw icon thing, I just did a system restore. lol I shoulda thought of doing so before.

The icons are now all back to the Real Player kind. But now I'm unsure of what to do about future vid downloads...

Collapse -
Sorry, We Can't Discuss That Here..

In reply to: btw...

Youtube has specific download rules.. There are a few of their videos which actually have a traditional download link included.. All others fall under their guidelines below:

Sorry, YouTube Shows Such Use... ...is against their "Terms of Service".. therefore we can't discuss that on these forums.

http://youtube.com/t/terms

5. Your Use of Content on the Site
"A. The content on the YouTube Website, except all User Submissions (as defined below), including without limitation, the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, interactive features and the like ("Content") and the trademarks, service marks and logos contained therein ("Marks"), are owned by or licensed to YouTube, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under the law. Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any other purposes whatsoever without the prior written consent of the respective owners. YouTube reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the Website and the Content.

B. You may access User Submissions for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the YouTube Website. You shall not copy or download any User Submission unless you see a ?download? or similar link displayed by YouTube on the YouTube Website for that User Submission.

Locking this thread.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.