Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Why are my searches being redirected and how do I fix it?

Hello. In IE and Firefox, whenever I search for something, then click on the search result, I am redirected to another website that has nothing to do with what I've searched for. I have run anti-malware, which seemed to have found all 'objects', quarantined and deleted them. But I am still being redirected. Can someone PLEASE help me get rid of whatever trojan, worm, or virus I have??? thank you so much.

matyglenn has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are my searches being redirected and how do I fix it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are my searches being redirected and how do I fix it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by matyglenn

Collapse -
As a start...

In reply to: Why are my searches being redirected and how do I fix it?

As a start give the below a try:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Hitman Pro - It's free to use without a license. If a virus is found, you will receive a free 30-day license to remove the threat. Note: There are separate downloads for 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/

Kaspersky's TDSSKiller - Instructions are listed below. (Additional instructions can be found here)
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Also check to make sure your original LAN settings haven't been changed:.

Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections Tab. Click on the "LAN Settings" button. If there is a check in the box "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click "OK". Then "OK", again.

Open Firefox. Go to Tools>Options>Advanced. Click on the "Network" tab. To the right of where you see ""Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet", click on the "Settings" button. Put a tick mark next to "No proxy". Click "OK". Then "OK", again.

If you run into any problems along the way, please post back and let us know. There are other options available to you.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Searches still being redirected...

In reply to: As a start...

Thank you. I've run Malwarebytes (full scan). It found nothing. I did a 'test' search in IE on how to make pie. I clicked on a result. I was redirected to Google search. I'll try Hitman now. I'll post what happens. Thanks.

Collapse -
still not good

Looks like I'll need those other options. Neither of those seemed to have worked. My searches are still being redirected...help. please...

Collapse -
Now I need some help..

In reply to: still not good

matyglenn..

I could continue to suggest other things to try, such as resetting your router, checking to make sure Windows HOSTS file hasn't been modified, your DNS settings haven't been changed, or even checking for suspicious add-ons. BUT.. I see no point in taking shots in the dark without knowing the following:

• Your operating system for starters.

• You wrote you are being redirected 'to another website'.
- Is it one specific site? If so, a name would help.

• You also wrote, 'I have run anti-malware, which seemed to have found all 'objects', quarantined and deleted them.'
- It might help to know what objects were found, and which scanner found them. Also where the objects were found. I realize you indicated they were 'deleted', but the information would still help.

• You failed to mention specifically what happened when scanning with TDSSKiller and Hitman Pro, other than they didn't work.
- By not working, do you mean they failed to detect anything? Or did you encounter problems when attempting to scan with them?

• Are there any other details, or background information you may have left out?

There is no one "fix" for everyone. The causes vary, as do the "fixes". Additional information will help us.. help you.
Carol

Collapse -
a word of thanks!

i just wanted to say thanks for posting these instructions. i've just experienced an entire hour of surfing the web problem free. i encountered this virus(es) about 10 days ago and have been trying to get rid of it for the past 4 days. this is the first time that things seem to finally be cleared up.

i do have a question; malwarebytes found and removed the happili, the tdss, agent and agent.cr viruses, what is the likelihood of the virus(es) returning? is it safe to resume online banking and visiting more info-sensitive websites? should i change my passwords? thanks again.

sincerely,
cheryl

Collapse -
A word of.. "you're welcome"!

In reply to: a word of thanks!

Cheryl..

You asked if you should change your passwords. If it were me, I would. What do you have to lose by changing them? A little time? As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as being too cautious when it comes to online banking and other such sensitive sites.

You also asked, "what is the likelihood of the virus(es) returning?" That's entirely up to you. "They" can't return without some help from you. User action is required, in some form or another. It's why safe computing habits are a must.

Carol

Collapse -
it's baaaaack!

In reply to: A word of.. "you're welcome"!

Carol,

thanks again for your help and reply. i am pretty good regarding my browsing habits; safety is always my first priority. the virus was picked up from a trusted website which had an offer to make google my homepage as an option during a download process.

the redirect virus is back and it brought more friends. i removed the friends i could find, but am wondering if there's any way to completely rid my pc of infections stemming from the initial onset of the redirect virus? would a system reboot resolve the problem?

Cheryl

Collapse -
Chances are it / they never left!

In reply to: it's baaaaack!

Cheryl..

You haven't provided any background information, short of the relatively nondescript exploits mentioned in your first post. Saying you have a "redirect virus" is a rather broad term. The causes are many. As are the suggested "fixes". ( As one example, read what a TDSS infection will do with Google search results at the top of this page )

You asked if a system reboot would resolve the problem. Malwarebytes' Anit-Malware and TDSSKiller require it, in order to complete the disinfection process.

Did you re-scan with the above scanners? I would recommend starting there, if you haven't done so already. When instructed to reboot.. do so.

You also asked if there was any way to completely rid your pc of infections. If the above doesn't help, and we're unable to make further headway, you also have the option of posting at a forum dedicated to removing "malware". They utilize various scanners, which are able to better see what's going on. And they walk you through the process while doing so. It's up to you. If you do wish to post at one the forums, they can be found on the left-hand side of this page

Keep us informed..
Carol

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.