Windows 8 forum

Question

Why are my downloads only paper not aip files

by kylesgrama / February 2, 2014 2:17 AM PST

I do digital scrapboking,and today all the files I have downloaded look like a sheet of paper. What has happened?I always use 7 zip and have had no problems.How do I fix it?I use firefox and updates are current.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are my downloads only paper not aip files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are my downloads only paper not aip files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) What are you trying to download? What's an AIP file?
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2014 2:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Rare to see folk want AIP files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 2:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Downloads are not zip files
by kylesgrama / February 2, 2014 2:59 AM PST

Sorry I misspelled,it should be zip files

Collapse -
What are you trying to download?
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2014 3:14 AM PST

Maybe what you want is inside the ZIP files? Windows will automatically unzip them; have you looked?

Collapse -
Re: zip files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 3:20 AM PST

- So downloads are not zip-files.What's file extension then?
- If run 7Zip, does File>Open work? Then it still are zip files, or any other compressed format the program supports.
- Maybe the file association has gone wrong. Easy to fix that. But before elaborating on we need to know the file extension.

Kees

Collapse -
Re zip files
by kylesgrama / February 2, 2014 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: zip files

There is no exe anywhere,no extract option,just looks like a sheet of paper with the name of the scrapbook site. Maybe it is due to an update of firefox. Is there a way to download an older version,the one i now have is 27.

Collapse -
Where are you trying to download from?
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2014 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re zip files

After asking what you're trying to download with no answer, I'm going to try to ask WHERE are you trying to download from?
Regarding Firefox, I'm running version 26, and it says I'm up to date, so I don't know why you're saying you're running 27.

Collapse -
Downloads
by kylesgrama / February 2, 2014 8:56 AM PST

Because that is what my" about firefox" says.
The site I'm downloading is called www.pixelscrapper.com
I tried IE and get the same look of paper.Could I uninstall a windows 8 update? Maybe my problem is with windows.Because like I said last week everything worked fine

Collapse -
OK, I've registered & sucussfully download
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2014 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Downloads

The format of what you download depends on the type of file you download. When I downloaded a kit, I got a ZIP file, but when I downloaded an asset, I got a PNG file. Remember Kees asking you what was the file extension? PNG is the file extension. That is what tells Windows how to open the download. In the case of a PNG file, it's a picture, so Windows will open the asset with a program that handles pictures, not ZIP files. With Windows 7, it opens it in the Photo Gallery application. Since you're using Windows 8, it may use something different, but it WILL open it and display it on the screen.
I've successfully done this with both Firefox 26 and Chrome Version 32.0.1700.102 m. There's nothing wrong with either browser. I think you may just be confused by the different file types.

Collapse -
Download files
by kylesgrama / February 2, 2014 8:37 PM PST

The files I am trying to download are compressed zip files,not PNG files.also have extractnow and try to drag and drop but the sheet of paper does not stay in the box. I went into my scrapbook file with all my stash and all the zip files that used to look like a case with a zipper are now a sheet of paper. I still believe it has to be a windows problem.Can I undo the last update?

Collapse -
Re: zip files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: Download files

Why not change the file association for zipfile back to whatever program you want to open it with? That piece of paper means no program is associated.
In Windows 8 it's called 'default apps'. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/choose-programs-windows-uses-default tells how to do it. Why did you change that setting?

I always wonder why people install programs like 7zip and extractnow. From XP onward (that's 12 years ago) Windows opens and makes zip-files natively, without any need for third-party programs. Why do YOU use those?

Kees

Collapse -
Downloading files
by kylesgrama / February 2, 2014 10:11 PM PST

I use them to extract files from a zip file.
I also do not use aps.I have classic shell.
Also I did not change anything.Don't know what you are referring to.

I have searched for system restore.Cannot find it. Nothing comes up but my bookmarks folder.Can you tell me where it is located?

Collapse -
Re: downloading
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 10:31 PM PST

Sorry, my bad, it's called default programs. And it's what you need to use to fix your problem.

Three other remarks:
1. You don't need any third party program to extract from a zip-file. Some people think so, but apparently they still are living in Windows 98 or ME time.
2. Some setting has changed (the default programs setting for zip-files). Windows update doesn't do it, you didn't do it, so it's mystery why it happened. Nonetheless, it seems sure it happened.
3. System restore is located somewhere in the control panel or in Startmenu, but since I don't have Windows 8 I can't tell you where. But I 'm sure you don't need it. Moreover, it's doubtful if it will help, since it's not a system setting but something under explicit control of the user.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: 7zip
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 4:02 PM PST
In reply to: Re zip files

If you have 7zip installed, you can run it from the desktop, even in Windows 8, like you can run any Windows program from the desktop.

And what happens if you double click the file in Explorer?

Kees

Collapse -
Clarification Request
We're still in the dark because of 2 unanswered questions
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2014 10:52 PM PST

You're making things difficult for yourself and us because you still haven't answered two questions:
`
1) WHAT file are you trying to download?
`
2) What is the file name extension of the file you're having trouble with. You say it's not PNG and it's not ZIP, so tell us what it is.
`
We're fumbling around in the dark because you're making us guess the answers, and I have to tell you that my dog broke my crystal ball. Sad

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: AIP files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 2:55 AM PST

What of these 4 do you expect?
- AIP Star Trek Armada Arficicial Intelligence Parameters
- AIP Illustrator Plug-in (Adobe Systems Incorporated)
- AIP Audiosoft Parameter File
- AIP Advanced Installer Project File (Caphyon Ltd.)

How do you mean "look like"?
Downloads have a filename and an extension, and if the Windows Explorer knows that extension it can add the icon of the program that opens it if you doubleclick the file. Maybe the file now is associated with no program or the wrong program. Then fix that.

What does 7zip has to with your problem?

If you use the File>Open command in the GUI of the program you want to open the file with, does that work?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.