Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

why are macbooks (and macs in general) so unresponsive??

by ClosetMonster3 / August 19, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

Ive been using my aunts macbook (1.83 core duo 512mb 667 ram, OS X 10.4.10) for a short time and Ive noticed (among other macs Ive used) that they are so unresponsive to my requests! I would have to say that I have seen the spinning umbrella a lot when doing ordinary things on the macbook, but it seems so slow and unresponsive!

I personally have a dell laptop with a pentium M 2.13 cpu and it runs much faster than this macbook. I know my notebook is faster in ghz, but this macbook has two cores, so it should multi task much better)

I would like to know why macs are so slow! Is it the OS? Ram? Something? This is something that would prevent me from buying a macbook because of its inability to respond quickly without halting or freezing a lot. Are there programs that allow me to tweak the performance settings on a mac to speed it up faster?

Like I said, if this could be fixed, I would consider buying a mac, but they are to sketchy is responsiveness at the moment.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why are macbooks (and macs in general) so unresponsive??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why are macbooks (and macs in general) so unresponsive??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RAM
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 8:42 AM PDT

is the normal cause of the spinning colored wheel along with an over full HD.

P

Collapse -
I test drove a 512MB macbook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 2:59 PM PDT

It was just fine. iTunes launched fast and was great overall. Filling up the hard disk could be an issue or having many apps open with so little ram.

Bob

Collapse -
unresponsive ??????
by cosmocat / September 3, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

Your use of one Mac Laptop has led you to this dumb statement......Go to a Apple store, or Best Buy or whatever and give them a try.......I know you have not been to my house to try mine .....Give them a try....I have four PCs and two Macs.....

Collapse -
Not a dumb question
by ClosetMonster3 / September 4, 2007 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: unresponsive ??????

That wasnt very kind...anyways, my question is about how I can speed up a mac that is clearly slower. Your mac may not be slow, but you probably know more about how to alleviate those symptoms than I do. Therefore, I ask those that would kindly point me in the right direction...

As for those that can help me, what causes them to be slow in the first place? I know much more about PC's and I am able to tweak a PC with various tools and cleaners to get it optimal. I do not know of many ways to speed up a mac and the like.

If anyone knows more on this subject, I would greatly appreciate help and not criticism on a subject that I am clearly trying to find the answer for. Thanks in advance for your advise!

Collapse -
They (macs) are not, normally slow.
by grimgraphix / September 4, 2007 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a dumb question

As you have described the macbook you are using as only having 512 mb of RAM... I would suspect that this could be part of the problem. You say you're familiar with windows machines. How much performance would you expect from an XP or Vista box with only 512 mb of RAM?

There are several things you could do to help keep your aunts' macbook running smoothly. One of the major maintenance procedures is repairing permissions using Disc Utility. another would be to limit the amount of open programs you have running at any given time. Another is to keep plenty of open room on your hard drive. Bottom line however is the fact that you're not gonna get much from this computer with so little memory installed.

BTW... do us all a favor and go back and reread your original post. Telling folks that their computer of choice sux in their own forum... informing us how much better a windows machine is... complaining some more... and then challenging us to persuade you to buy a mac... is pretty unreasonable public behavior. I would suggest that if you really need help, then asking for it politely next time will get you the "kind" response you seem to have been expecting. Even a zoned in, tranced out dude like you oughta know, if your throw an elbow in the middle of a trip hop rave and smack someone, then you oughta apologize instead of being surprised if you get elbowed back.

Ciao!

grim

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by ClosetMonster3 / September 5, 2007 11:40 AM PDT

Thank you for the response you gave me.

As you've mentioned about coming into a mac forum and complaining about macs and the like, it was obviously not my intention to step on anyones feelings about their macs. Just like giving an elbow to a fellow raver and not meaning it, the struck raver shouldnt get too upset because it was not an evil intention. The struck raver shouldnt exaggerate the events and make a mountain out of a mole hill. The real problem is a misunderstanding of intentions. If it was perceived that I wanted to challenge mac users, telling them that their macs sux, then I was obviously massively misunderstood. I hope that you can understand my sincerity that I want to be educated and not get involved in a demeaning war.

Ive read forums about how other people bag on pcs (and are doing so incorrectly) but I kindly direct them to informative info so that they can fully understand the full picture.
I would assume that if it is the case that macs are very good machines, you would be able to set me straight (which you have attempted to do).

Hopefully there are no hurt feelings, but I would hope that the struck raver would initially "think the best of another" so that these "fights" dont emerge like they so often do.

So... I apologize that there is always that level of misunderstanding and miscommunication that comes with language (especially over the internet). Help me to love macs as you do and maybe I can be on the other side of the fence in the future.

have a great day!

Collapse -
Not a problem here, brother.
by grimgraphix / September 5, 2007 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

Although I prefer industrial over trance (check out "PORCELAIN and the tramps" for a rocking underground time) we can all be forgiving on the dance floor when we take a look at where the other folk are standing, and respect their space. Happy

Like I said, try the Disc Utility in the Finder window > Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility path. Select the main hard drive in the side bar and click on repair permissions at the bottom of the window. If you see a whole big list of repairs being made, then it might indicate that this small regular maintenance has been neglected. Repairing permissions is akin to defraging/registry clean up (but different)... and can make a rough running mac act like a new machine.

Bottom line however, is a machine with so little RAM isn't going to run too well. A gig of RAM, minimum is needed to run video applications smoothly.

cheers

grim

Collapse -
btw
by ClosetMonster3 / September 5, 2007 11:50 AM PDT

btw, im a fellow raver... havent been to one in a while, but Im glad to hear that there are others here that enjoy those things!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.