iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Why are iMessages sometimes from icloud?

by Schmactor1 / March 17, 2015 1:20 PM PDT

Usually I receive text messages from certain people with their name since I have them in my contact list. But once in a while a message thread is started from their icloud account. Even if I had just been messaging with their phone number minutes before. Others have told me the same happens sometimes from my number as well. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why this starts and stops. It is annoying because a separate thread is started on the same conversation and sometimes I don't even recognize their icloud address. What is going on here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are iMessages sometimes from icloud?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are iMessages sometimes from icloud?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's a work in progress.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2015 1:29 PM PDT

Since Apple wants to avoid carrier SMS issues, charges and more, you see the bumps in the road.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
The sender could be logged in differently on one of...
by Pepe7 / March 18, 2015 3:46 AM PDT

...their devices, all of which use iMessage. They could have two separate Apple logins, but share your specific (unique) contact info on each device in question. YMMV.

Collapse -
Nope, they are definitely using the same device...
by Schmactor1 / March 18, 2015 12:48 PM PDT

In fact, I will receive a message from their phone number and then minutes later receive a message from their icloud. And they are definitely using the same device and so am I.

Collapse -
Are you certain they are on the same device?
by Pepe7 / March 18, 2015 11:46 PM PDT

Keep in mind you can have both entries listed under the same contact on your i-device.

Collapse -
Yep...
by Schmactor1 / March 19, 2015 2:31 AM PDT

100% Certain. But your other post about the settings looks like it's getting closer to the problem. Thanx!

Collapse -
Also look at these settings too
by Pepe7 / March 18, 2015 11:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
This looks on track towards the cause of the problem.
by Schmactor1 / March 19, 2015 2:37 AM PDT

Thanx, this does explain a few things. I think the problem started when I began to use iMessage on my Mac. And it looks like the problem will be solved if I change the settings as shown in that thread. But this would indeed keep me from using iMessage on my Mac. And it also doesn't explain why it is so unpredictable which address messages will come from when I am only using my iPhone and it appears that everything thing else is being done in the exact same way. I'll pay closer attention to every single thing I see when I send messages from now on and see if I can spot any clues. Thanx again.

Collapse -
That's definitely a weakness
by Pepe7 / March 19, 2015 3:14 AM PDT

I suppose it's the price you pay from having iMessage on the Mac too.

I would try to at least eliminate some of the chatter by simply adding the additional iCloud email addresses you receive to your various contacts' info. Worth a shot until Apple can sort it out Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?