Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Why are Governments saying no to IE?

by guesswhoquestionmark / January 27, 2010 5:33 PM PST

Microsoft is taking serious hits in Europe. After Germany raising the alarm on the new Internet Explorer's security issues, France has also raised their concerns about the browser. A French Government agency called Certa, that was organized to protect users against cyber threats, has warned users against using IE right now. Microsoft themselves have apparently admitted their native Windows browser does pose a certain security risk for users and are working on a solution. What could be temporary fix is to set the browsers security level all the way to ?High? settings, although there?s still no guarantee. Cyber-crime is a big deal and something we have to consider very seriously. For those using IE right now, it might be a good idea to cut your loyalties a bit and switch to another till Microsoft is out with a fix.

What did I miss?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are Governments saying no to IE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are Governments saying no to IE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's well disscussed.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2010 8:16 PM PST

Think about this;

If I am a virus writer or hacker. I have to target specific browsers to ensure I can distribute my malware. Which browser am I likely to attempt to hack?

For me the answer is simple, at the moment. Windows comes bundled with IE. Users have no need to consider using any other browser if IE is already installed.

That is why IE is the 'browser of choice' for hackers and malware writers. There are other issues, but that's the main one.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you
by guesswhoquestionmark / January 28, 2010 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: It's well disscussed.
Collapse -
Monopoly
by jomueller / January 29, 2010 12:05 PM PST

Microsoft is not taking any hit in Europe. Unless you see a little dent in their monopoly as a hit.

Europe does whet the FTC missed to do: Allow the market to function and allow competition. Microsoft is a ruthless company that destroys competitiors or buys them. Anti-trust laws were made for this but the government sits on it's hands.

I am grateful for the smart people who donate time and talent and create programs like Firefox and Opera. That's where the innovation is!

Collapse -
The application is still embedded
by Porch-a-Geese / January 29, 2010 4:00 PM PST

Anyone can write a simple script to make a person's computer reboot and format.
All you need is:
1) Simple knowledge of html
2) A site people visit on a regular basis
3) For the people to use IE.

Collapse -
(NT) HTML is a markup language with no such capabilities.
by John.Wilkinson / February 2, 2010 3:22 AM PST
Collapse -
I.E. is written carelessly
by 3rdalbum / January 29, 2010 5:40 PM PST

Internet Explorer is quite carelessly written. Think about it: It was originally developed back in the days when viruses came on floppy disks, not on drive-by-downloads. Microsoft never wrote it to be secure, only to work as a wedge against Netscape. When the browser worked, it was released.

Only recently has Microsoft actually started trying to redesign it to be more secure and less careless; but I suspect there's still a lot of old code floating around in Internet Explorer that can be taken advantage of.

Mozilla Firefox has been developed and continually redesigned-on-the-run by open-source folks. People who develop open-source generally think about secure design from the get-go. Google Chrome is based on the Webkit rendering engine which in turn is based on KHTML; KHTML was developed for secure browsing, Webkit doesn't have the best security record, but Chrome has implemented sandboxing so each website is isolated from your computer.

It's not just a case of "Internet Explorer is the most common web browser, therefore more people attack it". Apache is the most common web server, and it has a very good security record. Internet Explorer is an easy target - that's the long and the short of it.

Collapse -
Because it doesn't work?
by Dango517 / January 29, 2010 5:43 PM PST

Could be .... would be my guess .... makes sense.

Collapse -
Why are Governsment saying NO to IE
by jrap30 / February 1, 2010 12:07 AM PST

Please back up your claims about MS taking a hit in Europe? Are you stating numerous vulnerabilities being exploited in Europe due to IE? If yes please give some examples. This whole thread "reads" like threads 3 years ago against IE6. MS made IE 7 more stronger/secure than IE 6 and supposedly IE8 is stronger than IE 7 so I need specifics.

The reason other responders stated why people used IE is true.....IE comes with the Operating System, no install required so why not used it. For the agency this holds true, my agency trusts Microsoft; te browser is included with the OS so why not use it. We do not want users downloading and installing any applications....so IE is the first choice of browser.

I hate to tell you Mozilla was hit almost has hard as IE was back 2009 with vulnerabilities. So again provide information and more important ...what is the EXACT point of your question?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?