Windows Vista forum

Question

why are both my c and d drives showing no space

by redmane / November 15, 2011 10:45 AM PST

I don't put anything on d drive and I deleted 60 gb on c drive but still shows less than 200 mb left ran every virus program I can think of still nothing, System restore is turned off, not sharing anything, I rolled the pc back to start of month and everything was good then 2 days later I'm getting the warning pop ups again. Any idea what could be the problem

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why are both my c and d drives showing no space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why are both my c and d drives showing no space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
More detail please
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 7:33 PM PST

No mention of computer model and make, nor size of the two hard disks or any other details.

What does "Computer" show when you open it?

What was this 60GB you deleted and how did you delete it? Is all that data still in the Recycle Bin? if so, delete it from there as well. That is like emptying the Trash out of your household trash bin. Until you empty it, it is still in your possession.

Mark

Collapse -
why are both my c and d drives showing no space
by Soumyananda / November 17, 2011 3:35 PM PST
In reply to: More detail please

Please mention the operating system, processor and RAM of your PC. I think it is 64 bits right?

Collapse -
Re: OS
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 4:49 PM PST

This is the Windows Vista forum, so it's reasonable to assume that the OS is Windows Vista. And in what way are processor and RAM relevant factors?

Kees

Collapse -
pc and drive info
by redmane / January 2, 2012 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Re: OS

So sorry I couldn't reply earlier, this is my info.

Dell XPS 420
Intel Core 2 Duo E 8400 3.00ghz
5GB Ram
Vista Home Premium SP2
32 bit
320 HDD D drive 15 GB (recovery)

The current situation is the same, both drive C and D give me the drive full error, no matter what I delete it makes no or at least very little difference.

I have uninstalled 23 GB in software only to gain 40 MB I have also deleted every thing media wise (37GB of video and photo's) that I can and still nothing. I am running Horizons rollback, so i can keep rolling it back to one date in November when it wasn't as bad but within a day or two it fills up again, even if you turn the pc off it will have 3 or 4 GB less space when you turn it on again.

I can't find any virus or malware and other than doing a clean install which i would rather avoid since I will lose software I would like to keep. I am at a loss as to the reason for all this.

So far, the drive and memory have passed all bench tests.
I am now at 9.71GB on C and 500MB on D

I also have the following back up drives none of which have a problem.

2 x 320GB
1 x 200GB
1 x 2 TB

I am thinking that maybe the hard drive is going bad and just not bad enough yet to fail tests, or I am overlooking something simple, I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Jaime

Collapse -
Couple of guesses
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 2, 2012 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: pc and drive info

I assume you have backed up all your personal files so that if a reinstall becomes necessary, you don't lose them.

As to software, it is inevitable that software will need to be reinstalled, and that's why I keep all my setup CDs, or if I have installed from downloaded setup files, I have backed up those setup files.

You could download and install Belarc Advisor which will inventory your hardware and software, and record the license and serial codes for the software you have, so yu can print that out and then, if ever a reinstall is required, you have the necessary keys and codes at hand.

Have you deleted the Recycle Bin?

Have you run Disk Cleanup? Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. After its initial check of compressed files, click the Advanced tab and delete all but the latest System Restore point. Then back to the main tab to clean up all temp files.

That D Drive seems to be a Recovery Drive. What files are being added to that? Whatever they are, they shouldn't be.

Mark

Collapse -
Reinstall
by redmane / January 2, 2012 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Couple of guesses

I am all backed up, I won't lose anything of importance really. The software I will lose is the free stuff that can not be reinstalled, but oh well!The D partition is the recovery drive, nothing ever gets put on it, so you can see how frustrating it is to see the full error because if I look at the partition it has nothing more than what should be there.
I do record tv but I save it to the big 2 TB drive
I guess an OS reinstall is looking like the only option. I suppose if it happens again I can put it down to bad drive.
Jaime

Collapse -
Just asking
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 2, 2012 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: Reinstall

Did you try those steps?

Mark

Collapse -
Completed steps
by redmane / January 3, 2012 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Just asking

Yes several times, the actual drive shows no files of any large size and I can not for the life of me find anything that adds up to anything like the amount of space that is supposed to be taken up. This sreams of virus but can't find one.
If I have bad sectors on the drive that couldn't be used wouldn't it show a smaller drive capacity ?
This morning after booting up it showed 300 MB left so had to rollit back yet again, I will probably just reinstall at the weekend, it's just annoying that I will lose my GAOTD software they don't allow you to register a second time.
Thanks for your help
Jaime

Collapse -
The other idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Completed steps

If my machine is fine and I need space back I might turn off then turn back on SYSTEM RESTORE. It can be a source or consumer of disk space.

Here's an article about the folder in question -> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/724347.htm

There's a lot more about this but your posts seem to not mention this folder.
Bob

Collapse -
re: other idea
by redmane / January 3, 2012 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: The other idea.

Thanks for the idea.
I don't use system restore and my backup is to an external drive. This problem with my drives started about 9 weeks ago, unfortunately i didn't notice the drive capacity going down and deleted my older back ups so can't even go back to them to see what may have caused it.
Dell seems to think it's a virus and want me to reinstall the OS I was just trying to avoid it due to some great little freebie programs I have that won't let you reinstall.
I don't see any way round this right now, other than having to roll the PC back every couple of days. I have some free time this weekend and will do a reinstall then.
Thanks
jaime

Collapse -
So why not?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: re: other idea

I read this discussion and I see you didn't find the folder with the content eating the drive space.

Maybe I missed that plus the ideas to use TreeSize Free http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/
CCLEANER as well as turning on System Restore then turning it off.

Seems there is work left to do.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
same problem
by alblease / January 2, 2012 11:28 AM PST

Working on my mother in laws Dell laptop running vista have the exact same problem. Couple of things- a new use was installed "Public", tried deleting that. Also viewing properties for Vista itself yields a 93000 Filecount taking 24g. Seems excessive.
Going through it forensically we just account for the data... maybe a 50 or 60 g shortfall.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!