Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why are all my emails blank?

Hi all - this is my first post on this forum, which has been recommended by a friend.

I wonder if someone will be able to help me - I have a new PC, and since I've had it (about 3 weeks) the emails have been a total headache. I can't even remember what the original problem was that I was trying to solve, but just when I thought I'd gotten round it by creating a new email account, I now find that although I can receive emails in OUTLOOK EXPRESS (which I couldn't before, ah yes, THAT was the problem!) when I try to open them, there is nothing showing at all. Unless my friends have sent me to Coventry, I'm pretty sure there should be SOME content! (BTW, it's happening in both of the email accounts)

To try and get round the problem, I attempted to check my mail using the facility on the Tiscali Homepage instead, but now that doesn't want to play ball either, NOTHING shows up there at all, the whole inbox is blank.

I am a complete techno-dummy, so please can someone try and tell me what I have done that's mucked it all up??

Cheers.

xx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why are all my emails blank?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why are all my emails blank?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Why are all my emails blank?

In reply to: Why are all my emails blank?

Well if you use outlook express and you downloaded the messaged to your computer they will be deleted automatically on tiscali webmail. If you want to have them on your PC and on tiscali, then do the following:

Open outlook express, go to TOOLS>ACCOUNTS and select your account, click properties, go to the advanced tab and look at the very bottom, under "delivery" put a check box in "Leave a cpoy of messages on server". Now, tell your friend to send you an email with content and check it online on tiscali and on outlook express since they should be at both places. See if you have the same "blank" issue online as in outlook express.

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]
---------------------------------------------------------------------->
"Any technology significantly advanced enough
is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clark
<---------------------------------------------------------------------

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Why are all my emails blank?

Sovereign - Thanks for the help - I did as you suggested, and at least I can read my emails on the Tiscali homepage now, although all messages in my Outlook Express still remain blank!

Collapse -

In reply to: Why are all my emails blank?

xx,

Are you receiving mail, but no message?

If so, can you select a message and read it?

If this works it is a security proceedure against viruses.
If you wish to change this

Open Outlook and click on "view" -> "layout" in tool bar
In Preview Pane check box "Show Preview Pane"
Click apply -> OK

To prevent your on line mail box from filling up or you having to go to the web site to delete messages. Outlook downloads all messages. To change this setting.

In Outlook click on tools -> accounts in tool bar.
Open mail tab. Select your mail account and click on Properties. Open Advance tab -> fill box "Leave copy of messages on server" Click apply -> OK.

Expect other views and proceedures

Bill

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Why are all my emails blank?

Bill - thanks for trying to help with my problem. Unfortunately, I went to all the places you suggested, and all the boxes you mentioned are already checked, and my emails are all still blank!!

By the way, you asked:

"Are you receiving mail, but no message?

If so, can you select a message and read it?"

Yes to the first question.

No to the second question. Selecting a message makes no difference, there's still nothing to read, just the 'egg timer' constantly, where the text should be!!

Appreciate the help though.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.