HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Why American crisis in education still declining?

by Gakada / June 4, 2006 3:32 PM PDT

Last week I watch Oprah show about American education crisis..

then I try to look for more information, using google.. I was surprized, that the crisis already felt more than a decade ago...

So.. Why the crisis still became an issue today??

Just curious.. what happened there..

The Food is bad?
Something wrong with American way of life?
American going Banckrupt?

Or...??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why American crisis in education still declining?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why American crisis in education still declining?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your subject line is a perfect example.
by duckman / June 4, 2006 8:20 PM PDT

Why American crisis in education still declining? You are actually saying that education is improving. But considering your source of original information.....

Collapse -
I'm assuming English is not Gakada's native language...
by EdH / June 4, 2006 8:36 PM PDT

and that he/she was not brought up in the US.

But yeah, watching Oprah to glean meaningful information about anything would be dicey...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you EdH
by Gakada / June 5, 2006 4:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ok, my mistake..
by Gakada / June 5, 2006 4:29 AM PDT

Anyway, I meant was the the education is in crisis and didn't get improve, after been known for more than a decade..

Oprah is the original source, but the other source is google.. and found alot of information regarding the subject...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) NEA
by EdH / June 4, 2006 8:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not just NEA but Federal encroachment
by duckman / June 4, 2006 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) NEA
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) there union
by Mark5019 / June 4, 2006 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) NEA
Collapse -
Well, assuming that the question is
by dirtyrich / June 4, 2006 9:38 PM PDT

why there is a decline...

There are a lot of factors. First and foremost, schools today are not set up for success in today's society. Class size is not necessarily too large, but school and district size often is. This leads to an unwieldy number of students within a building (the majority of discipline problems in public schools occur in the hallways - when that large crowd can interact). Also, large school and district buereacracies have a tendency to become financially inefficient, eating up resources that students need.
School boards are also at fault. Boards become apologetic for students' poor behavior and academics, placing blame on teachers than problems in the system. Add to this the good number of school employees that are hired simply because of association to the board members... and usually the more high profile someone is, the more significance nepotism has.
Teachers are at fault, or, more specifically, teacher colleges. Many do not demand mastery of academic content and do not adequately filter out unsuitable candidates.
Society and parents are at fault. I doubt that 30 years ago students would have ganged up and assaulted a teacher, yet that has happened multiple times at local high schools the past couple years.
States are at fault. They have had the best view of whats going on in multiple districts over the past 50 years, but done little to nothing to fix or remedy problems as they pop up.
Finally, the Feds (Congress) are at fault, largely because they have done little until recently. Even though it may not be perfect now, something like NCLB is needed to initiate change in the system. NCLB was good in its intentions and initial proposals, but Congress severely botched it up in its usual attempts to throw in senseless addendums to please idiotic special interest groups.

So, not-so-simple a response to a simple question?

Collapse -
hmm .. I thought they always have
by Gakada / June 5, 2006 4:37 AM PDT

a solution for anything.. especially the subject is the most important thing in life... education...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Education is the most important thing in life?
by EdH / June 5, 2006 5:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
dr hit the nail on the head.
by Angeline Booher / June 5, 2006 5:31 AM PDT

It's a complicated problem, with no simple answers. The reasons he gave are on target.

But I think there are pockets of improvement.

At least in my area, 30 years or so ago ''social promotion'' was common. Today, also in my area, it is not. However, what passes as a passing grade in one school system may not in another. In other words, it's easier to make an A in some schools.

In the same time period, we had a Director of Schools who said, ''No more homework.''

Some blame that on a lack of money. I realize that some schools, because of the neighborhoods in which they exist, are more able to afford more teaching aids, etc. However, I do not believe that throwing money at schools is the answer.

Though I always have supported integration, when busing came to my area 30+ years ago, it resulted in students traveling to schools far from their homes. This resulted in their parents not always being able to be involved in school affairs. Some sense of community was lost.

The best thing to come down the pike here has been the ''magnet'' schools. These are schools scattered about the county to attract kids who have various academic interests and talents. In the latest local evaluations, these schools consistently performed extremely well. (No school bus is available for these, so parents must drive them to school, or they can get a low fare on the city buses.)

Granted, in those schools discipline problems are highly unlikely as those kids came there to learn.

If there is one common factor in poor performance, it is the discipline factor , as dr pointed out.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
magnet schools
by marinetbryant / June 5, 2006 5:44 AM PDT

Who do you think is fighting magnet schools? Administrators, NEA, those who don't want Suzie's ego to be bruised? Even some of those inner city students want to go where they can get an education and not be penalized for those who don't want to learn. Afraid certain groups with an agenda are screwing the education process. Just my opinion based on some reading.

Tom

Collapse -
To go a step beyond
by Angeline Booher / June 5, 2006 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: magnet schools

I'm not sure if the set-up is still the same, but several years ago there were "feeder" middle schools to the high school magnet schools. But some of the students there did not perform well enough to apply. (Entrance is by application, then a drawing is held from the pool for available slots.)

I think you are probably ahead of me.... the self esteem issue came to bear.

Sorry - I just don't know if the isue was ever resolved. But I haven't heard of any lawsuits recently about that issue.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.