The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Why all the diffrent Buzz service 'locations'?

by Wolven Spectre / October 17, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

You have the feed for the Blog and a separate feed for the podcast.

You have the blog but no reference links and streaming, the newsletter does have reference links but no streaming, even though they both carry similar information on the show.

Why the redundancy?

Why should I have to subscribe to 2 RSS feeds and a newsletter?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why all the diffrent Buzz service 'locations'?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why all the diffrent Buzz service 'locations'?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look closer

The blog has reference links and you can play the MP3 from the post. What am I missing.... what are you missing?

Maybe you need to click the 'read more' link?

Collapse -
Perhaps you misundersood what I was saying
by Wolven Spectre / October 18, 2007 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Look closer

I already said what you pointed out I missed.

to put it another way, The blog should act as the page with the show's links just like the newsletter, the newsletter should also contain the MP3 streaming flash player, and instead of having 2 newsfeeds, one for the MP3 podcast itself and the other for the blog, they could be consolidated into one feed.

The vast majority of podcatching clients would scrape the feed and just download the podcast, so doing this should not cause anyone with an upto date fully fledged podcatcher any problems.

This way a person could subscribe to the newsletter OR visit the blog OR Subscribe to the blog/podcast feed.

This makes more sense than now where I have to visit the blog AND receive the newsletter (or visit the show notes) AND subscribe to the podcast.

Sure the blog is a launching pad to all sorts of info and content, but most of it is only used occasionally where the show notes are used every episode. It would only make sense that this would be added to the blog.

Many people don't like newsletters or HTML email. Some people don't use newsfeeds. Some people prefer to go to a central place like the blog manually.

You could still do all three but there is no reason that people should have to use all three to get the full experience.

Collapse -
OK

The blog does have everything. It has the shows links.

The reason we have a separate podcast feed from blog feed. We are part of a corporation. They have a blog system that does not accomodate that particular need. It was either wait for them to give us the option to generate the podcast XML from the blog or get the blog launched. We chose to launch the blog.

The streaming flash player breaks the newsletter HTML for some reason.

So really you only have to visit the blog for everything but the podcast feed. The newsletter is purely optional.

Collapse -
Ah, I see where the problem is.
by Wolven Spectre / October 18, 2007 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

Its to bad your corporate 'solutions' are not compatible and you have to fit the sites into all the templates you guys set forth but I understand.

As for the shows links, I mean that they should be put on the same page and entry for the show. Thats where my quip, which was supposed to be humorous but apparently wasn't clear (should have used emoticons). If I were streaming and I want to look at show notes that is another tab/window I have to have open and switch back and fourth to. This isn't a problem per se but an unnecessary very minor annoying difference.

Thanks for the feedback.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.