Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Why a Norton 360 Missing Link & No Updates

by JenAnne / December 12, 2012 5:00 AM PST

Dear CNET:
If this should be in newbies, I apologize, but I'm an oldie (punch card generation).

1. In Dec. 2009, we purchased a HP Pavilion p6242f desktop & the technician installed Norton 360. When I went to renew Norton online in 2010, I clicked on My Account & got a Buy.Norton.com OpenOffice.org writerweb page with the markup codes. Contacted Norton but didn't get an explanation/fix.

2. Two days ago, I got a notice that I was running out of online backup space. Got hold of Norton Chat (type in the tiny box) & was referred to Buy More Storage on the website. Tooling around the website I noticed a list of 360 versions - 3 xx. 4xx 6xxx etc & thought I have never had an automatic update for 360 - I checked mine was still 3.2 . Tried to get hold of Norton Chat but after 40 plus minutes gave up. So I downloaded the latest update & got version 20.2.0.19. Went to the new interface which had a big warning "Running Out of Backup" & a Fix It button. Clicked on Fix It and yes got the Buy.Norton.com OpenOffice.org writerweb page again. What goes around, comes around 360 degrees!
3. Packed up my troubles & went to the original store who looked at the box for Norton 360 3.2 & said "that's old!" My questions "Why no automatic updates since 2009 & why no web link then or now? Was this originally installed properly?" I got a funny look & a referral back to Norton.
4. So I would appreciate any help from the community (or Santa's elves) as to why an essential security program didn't notify me of updates & why the "funny" page on the old and new versions instead of connecting to the website. My subscription expires in 30 days & I stll have to deal with lack of backup storage as well.
Yours Sincerely,
JenAnne Victoria, BC Canada

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why a Norton 360 Missing Link & No Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why a Norton 360 Missing Link & No Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Norton Uses An Automatic Backup Utility... Do You Need Such?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 11:58 PM PST

Just my opinion here, but since you're not entirely happy with Norton 360, why continue to use it? You can make your own backups of pictures, music, and important documents by simply making a data CD of such. Assuming you are running Windows XP, it has its own firewall available...And... It's also possible to uninstall Norton 360 and all of its parts, then install a free antivirus program which will use fewer memory/resources and allow your computer to run smoother and quicker.. Just a couple of good, free AV programs are listed below..

Avast Free Antivirus
http://www.avast.com/download-software

Avira Free Antivirus
http://www.avira.com/en/downloads

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Automatic is Preferred
by JenAnne / December 13, 2012 12:57 AM PST

Dear Grif:

Thanks for you suggestion re: DIY.

On our old PC running XP, I had avast etc and used to do backups and "cleanse the computer" every Saturday morning like a ritual. But I sort of got tired of that so when we got the new Windows 7 HP, I was happy things were supposedly automatic. Most of our backups are emails, no pictures or music to speak of. I really don't want to go back to DIY.

Collapse -
Then If You're Running Out Of Space...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Automatic is Preferred

You'll need to clean out some of the junk from the machine.. Try removing all but the most recent System Restore point by using Disk Cleanup to clean up System Restore.. (Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup-More Options tab.)

In addition, clean out the Temp folders and all other files and programs on the computer you don't need.

Of course, we've seen some on these forums with Norton updating problems.. You'll need to take such up with Symantec/Norton.

Personally, I PREFER to make backups myself.. With automated programs, you never know what's being backed up or whether it's done right.. When I create backups monthly, I KNOW what is being saved and taken care of. And in my case, because I'm diligent about making backups, it's almost automatic anyway. But....each to his/her own opinion.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The Missing Link to My Account Has Been Fixed
by JenAnne / December 18, 2012 1:36 AM PST

Dear CNET:

Just to let you know that my problem with the "funny" OpenOffice page instead of a link to Norton My Account has been fixed. The solution courtesy of the Open Office Community Forum is:

Go to Default Programs, Associate File Types etc, change *.html from OpenOffice to Internet Explorer. I guess the setting dated back to when the tech set up the new computer. I certainly didn't know anything about this, but you're never to old to learn.

Sincerely,
JenAnne

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for letting us know, JenAnne!
by Carol~ Moderator / December 18, 2012 1:57 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?