PC Applications forum

General discussion

by ken west / November 19, 2005 3:08 AM PST

Why for spywares or registry cleaner different softwares find different things & it seems to be impossible to have a software finding everything? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2005 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

One company would have to know it all.

Collapse -
You need to do more than one run with Registry Cleaners
by Dick Humfrey / November 19, 2005 7:14 AM PST

I provide support for a Registry cleaning program and many users say I did a clean with X program and then ran Y program and it discovered more. This principal goes for most registry cleaning programs.

Fixing some errors has uncovered others..." Some registry entries depend on others. If the Registry program finds errors in the "others" entries, it can't exactly detect that the dependent entries are invalid. Only after the first correction it can validate the dependent entries. Also, there are some entries that consist of several parts, like a list of file paths. If one or more parts are invalid, the program can show only one. After correction, on the second scan it will find next invalid part, then next and so on until all invalid parts of every complex entry is corrected. So it is suggested to do several registry scans and corrections one after one.

Wording that in a different way as one of our users explained to Fred Langa who puts out a newsletter and does not know how to use the program and made incorrect assumption on it
"With me, if not with most of your subscribers, your word is gospel? well almost. That is why I was surprised by your comment regarding Registry ----- --- in your report on ten Registry Cleaners. In that report, you state, " Alas, the second and third runs showed a real problem, reporting 123 and 109 problems, respectively; higher than the number found in the original run!" But does it now follow that correcting a key can uncover any number of down-stream dependent entries and that these down-stream errors will only become apparent on subsequent runs? If so, then the total number of errors on subsequent runs can very well increase over that of the first -- not necessarily, but possibly.

For instance, suppose there are ten up-stream errors and that each one of these errors contains an additional ten down-stream errors. In all, there are then 10 + 10x10 = 110 errors. On the first pass, however, only ten are detected -- the ten up-stream errors. But on the second pass, 100 errors are detected.

What do you say?

Fred Langa did not reply to the letter-not prepared to admit that he had jumped to conclusions without knowing enough about how to use the program.

Collapse -
Not only that
by PKsteven / November 19, 2005 3:01 PM PST

As the two above mentioned plus, there are different spyware that come out every day. New virus pop up, new ways to install cookies, etc...all sorts of things. With things changing day by day, some companies may not keep up with the latest as well as others. Say for instance, just example here, nothing more: Adaware works on detecting X amount of new tracking cookies that came out this week, and GENERIC SPYBUDDY, (yes made up) doesn't get to work on detecting these cookies until a month later, so Adaware detects these cookies while GENERICSPYBUDDY, won't or may never. Of course it goes far deeper than that but that's the best easy example I could give. If you are looking for something that has all in one utilities, give Vcom fix it utilities a try. It has Antivirus, Antispyware, Reg cleaner, Reg fix, Reg defrag, Disk defrag, checker, monitors, very fast updates and more than i'm willing to type. There are also a lot of good Free ones out there.

Take care, Paul

Collapse -
Thanks to all, but...
by ken west / November 20, 2005 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: Not only that

am i right or wrong to say that antivirus, instead, are all equal to find virus? By the way, i run CCleaner a second time & there was no more errors. Then i run Easy Cleaner...89 more errors :o

Collapse -
All inequal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2005 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks to all, but...

As each company has to play catchup to new pests daily, and they don't share among themselves there is no reason to think one antivirus will do.

Please take this advice. Use your favorite then get a second opinion online scan like HOUSECALL when you have time.

Collapse -
by PKsteven / November 20, 2005 4:35 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks to all, but...

Ccleaner is like any other registry fixer\cleaner. The first pass may find 1 error and fix it, but this allows it to find other errors which may pertain to it. Most registry fixers will actually say do more than one scan for this reason. It is a bit more technical than that but I don't think we need to go there. Bottom line, this is normal.I run Ccleaner until no errors are found.

Take care, Paul

Collapse -
I start to understand.
by ken west / November 22, 2005 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Ccleaner

OK. Now i understand for spywares: it is a question of pig business; but i still do not understand what errors registry cleaners find. I run Ccleaner and there was 2 errors; for Registry Cleaner other 2 & for Easy Cleaner other 91. The funny is that they was different for each software & deleting them, with each software, was not affecting the result on the others. Only temporary files in Windows system are equal for every softwares cleaning them. Why not for registry errors? What is wrong with them? Or something is wrong with registry cleaners instead?

P.S. CNET is between the best & useful sites i luckily found in internet years ago. A guiding bacon, putting some order in this murky sea of sharks & disorder.

Collapse -
One of our mods supports a registry cleaner and noted...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: I start to understand.

"upstream and downstream errors" during registry cleanings. Again, part of this is that there are some how many thousand entries in the registry with some companies declaring this is bad/broken and another knowing to let it be.

I understand you want order, but to have such we would have to listen to just one vendor of said products. That could be unhealthy.

Love your post about "pig business" and the "guiding bacon".

Collapse -
by ken west / November 24, 2005 1:53 AM PST

Thanks Bob, some time i am an aphorisms' writer Happy So everything is clear now...:' reformatting ', at least once a year, is the best & more reliable registry cleaner. Or isn't it? For ' order ' i was meaning trying to tell the truth about each vendor even if, in the end, is just a point of view more or less true. Perhaps it is not the right forum but, now i think it is a year or so, do you know why 99% of the time it is impossible to save CNET online courses as a complete web page and not in html format only?

Collapse -
About saving.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2005 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: Reformatting.

I'll probably hear about this, but the CNet courses I've taken were not memorable enough for me to save. But if I cut/paste into Open Office Writer, I can save as non-HTML. How about that?

Collapse -
by ken west / November 25, 2005 8:00 PM PST
In reply to: About saving.

Yes perhaps but, unfortunately, i am without Open Office Writer.

Collapse -
Then you don't have to be
by PKsteven / November 27, 2005 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: :(
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?