Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Whooooooeeeeee!!!!! something stinks in Speakeasy....

by null. / March 27, 2006 5:31 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whooooooeeeeee!!!!! something stinks in Speakeasy....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whooooooeeeeee!!!!! something stinks in Speakeasy....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I don't understand why you have this post?
by duckman / March 27, 2006 5:35 PM PST
Collapse -
it's a reference to the...
by null. / March 27, 2006 5:52 PM PST

usual drop a controversial post and sit back and watch the dust cloud form in Speakeasy. Some of our membership repeatedly will do this.

It'll most likely get locked or pulled anyway

Don Erickson
Mr. California Republican

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kind of like a drive by ?
by duckman / March 27, 2006 6:29 PM PST
Collapse -
Exactly
by C1ay / March 27, 2006 10:32 PM PST

Drive by posts are usually a sign of trolls though, not forum moderators....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) An exception is appropriate in this case.
by Kiddpeat / March 27, 2006 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Exactly
Collapse -
Except you know a few weeks later
by Cindi Haynes / March 28, 2006 2:59 AM PST

He'll be back all out-of-breath explaining how BUSY he is, all the deadlines he has to meet, and how little time he has to come here to post.

Happens after every one of his "drive-bys".

Collapse -
Response,
by duckman / March 28, 2006 3:03 AM PST

do you have any links to prove that

he,he,he

Collapse -
Why?
by James Denison / March 28, 2006 7:24 PM PST

Why blame someone for introducing a subject that everyone else goes bonkers over? Why is a heated subject such a bad thing anyway? Those are usually the more interesting threads except for the nyah, nyah, I know you are but what am I? type of posts.

Collapse -
Hardly a drive-by, as I was actively involved in the thread.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 28, 2006 9:47 PM PST

Our civil liberties have not been so threatened in a generation, but just sit back and be complacent, Don. Your label shows you approve.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Your label shows you approve?
by Evie / March 29, 2006 12:23 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) He had one post
by duckman / March 29, 2006 1:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Wow!
by EdH / March 29, 2006 12:41 AM PST

irrational much?

Collapse -
we're not threatened by the drive by either
by null. / March 29, 2006 2:33 AM PST

Dave you are mistaken on both counts. You only laid the egg and sat on it waiting for it to hatch. when it hatched you abandoned your little chick as quickly as you could.

I really do not see any Constitutional issue with the FBI watching anything happening in a public place. It is the same as the local police and their helicopter, they fly around looking for people doing illegal things in the public domain. There is none and should be no expectation of privacy in public so the 4th doesn't apply here.

See the reference to "Open Fields" at Find Law
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment04/04.html#3

Collapse -
Citing case law won't change anything,
by duckman / March 29, 2006 2:45 AM PST

He'll still be completly wrong

Collapse -
At least all of you....
by Angeline Booher / March 28, 2006 3:14 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What goes around comes around!
by Evie / March 28, 2006 3:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Angeline - I respect your opinion but...
by null. / March 28, 2006 3:34 AM PST

this is the only way to pull him out of the cocoon of absencia he envelopes himself in while driving by.
I see only true fact presented in this thread.
No sniping or other negative behavior has been posted.

But please feel free as a Moderator to censure this, But if you do take the time to look over the history of Daves posts, I feel he deserves a little snipe from the other Mods.

Don Erickson
Mr. California Republican

Collapse -
As I do yours, "but" :-)
by Angeline Booher / March 28, 2006 6:43 AM PST

...... in my opinion. what is considered trolling by some arises from political bias. I see posts that, to me, are just as geared to get a rise from the other side of the aisle. There just aren't as many here who chose to get into the fray as those who seem to enjoy doing so.

Some avoid those topics like the plaque. It is possible that they know that once they do offer a contradictory opinion, they are forever labeled.

Of course, it could be because some don't have as much opportunity while at work to contribute.

I'm no Pollyanna by any means, and away from the board let loose with both barrels !

I'm also not naive, so know this is not going to stop, but only worsen as election times approach.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
"Avoid those topics like the plaque?"
by dirtyrich / March 28, 2006 8:17 PM PST

Those topics must be drinking soda, eating sugary candy, and not brushing 2 times a day :-D

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)
by Angeline Booher / March 28, 2006 10:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Pack of Dogs
by James Denison / March 28, 2006 7:30 PM PST

WHAT is so wrong with introducing a topic and having others contribute to it, EVEN IF YOU DON'T ADD MORE? Driveby? It's more like someone tossing a nice juicy hunk of meat out in a pack of hungry dogs and then getting blamed when they start tearing on each other as they each try to get a piece of it.

Collapse -
So if something is done only to watch
by Roger NC / March 29, 2006 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Pack of Dogs
when they start tearing on each other it's a good lead because it stirs reaction?

Sorry disagree. Without discounting the news value of some of the posts under discussion, sometimes the presentation is deliberately calculated to upset a known group. Should the rest of us be more self-controlled? undoubtably. Can it contribute to dissention, dislike, even hatred toward each other? undoubtably.

BTW, there are posts by all political sides and other divisions that fall under this category, not just DaveK.

I personally suspect some of Dave's post are just to stir debate, and sometimes disagree with his presentation regardless of the article. The same goes for some of other's post here too.

And some post are not to stir debate, but deliberately to stir contention and dislike IMO. Those are often ploys to cry poor me when attacked by those the poster knew would. Both sides are wrong then when things go out of hand.

Roger

Collapse -
Subjective
by James Denison / March 29, 2006 3:31 AM PST

How are you going to tell the difference on something so subjective? Seems it would lend itself too easily to anyone's particular bias on a subject.

Collapse -
Subjective? certainly, but when people
by Roger NC / March 29, 2006 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: Subjective

phrase subjects in the strongest emotional evoking terms, it's going to be a problem provoking thread.

Your own phrase, a pack of hungry dogs and then getting blamed when they start tearing on each other , appears to be chosen to invoke a violent image.

Do you consider throwing one peace of meat in the middle of a hungry dog pack and watching them fight each other entertaining? or enlightening? Can't see that myself.

Roger

Collapse -
Sorry, Ang.
by Cindi Haynes / March 28, 2006 3:43 AM PST

It DOESN'T make me feel good, but maybe it's time he realizes what extra work he makes for the other Mods, and what bad feelings he creates on the forums doing this crap.

Subtle hints to cries of outrage for various subjects and statements over the years apparently have no effect in Konkel world.

I've been in the trenches with y'all...been there and done that. Deliberately soiling the nest of those who you claim as friends and associates tells ya something. If SE goes, this'll be one of the prime reasons.

Collapse -
But in a forum like this one.....
by Josh K / March 28, 2006 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry, Ang.

....isn't part of a moderator's job to post topics and then stand back and watch the fur fly?

And Angeline is spot on about the bias behind the "TROLLING!!!" charges that routinely appear whenever DK posts. Mark even admitted it when he explained that he never made that charge against DE because "DE was right."

If the dogpilers don't have the willpower to simply not click on DK's posts, why is that his fault?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No
by Evie / March 29, 2006 12:23 AM PST
Collapse -
Watching fur fly?
by Roger NC / March 29, 2006 12:52 AM PST
...part of a moderator's job to post topics and then stand back and watch the fur fly?

I don't know about that Josh. I've never agreed with some's view that as a moderator Dave should restrain posting his views, even before I was asked to join the moderators.

However personally I have tried to be more careful on my phrasing since I joined the moderators, to limit blanket statements etc. That's a personal choice perhaps.

Anyone that remembers me and a couple of past posters knows that I didn't refuse to disagree with them publically. And I got hot under the collar sometimes too and let it show more than I like later after reflection, but I try to at least present things I think and believe in a bit more neutral way than proclaiming it's the only view.

And some I've disagreed with and got into a few rounds over subjects still post things I feel that way about but I don't join the fray because I know there are at least a half dozen waiting to jump on any of their posts and tear them apart without hesitation.

So even when I disagree with a view, I often stay out of it now. Obviously not always since I'm involved in this debate. But what's the point in disagreeing with one or two points of a post when the thread is going to quickly and certainly degenerate into a no holds barred mud and blood fight anyway?

I get enough blood on me from my cat's scratches without joining dog fights here every day.

Actually it helps that I'm busy enough these days that I don't have as much time to make up replies and engage in debates as I use to have. I don't get involved except occasionally because I begrudge the time to find support links and/or to compose my replies now. There is too much else to do.

Roger

Collapse -
Some dogpilers may feel
by kmarchal / March 29, 2006 1:09 AM PST

Only when ideological claim and/or a lie are endlessly repeated and left unchallenged that only then the false claims have the power to become pseudo truth to the uneducated if it?s not exposed?.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Exactly
by null. / March 29, 2006 2:38 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?