TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Whole House Audio

I need some help figuring this whole house audio "formula". I was already told speakers should be 1.5 times the amount of the wattage from the amp. Now I need to figure out the volume control.
example

1) Channel on a receiver (80W)
2) In-Wall SPeaker (7-75W reccomended)
3) Volume Control (60 watt to peak power rating of 120.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whole House Audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whole House Audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
House audio

In reply to: Whole House Audio

Most average brands of in ceiling speakers are rated for a wattage that will be sufficient. Volume controls come in 3 different configurations. 70v, wattage style, and wattage with impedance matching.
70v are typically used in commercial applications.

A volume control that is rated for 80w (+/-) and 4-8ohm speakers are pretty common for whole house use. As are the type with impedance matching abilities.

The difference in the last 2 are - if you plan on using more than a couple of pairs of speakers, and only 1 stereo amplifier or receiver, you should use something to regulate the speaker impedances, otherwise you run the risk of damaging your amplifiers.
There are speaker selector boxes which do this, or volume controls with small tabs you set based on the number of speakers being connected to your system.

Even if you are doing all this yourself, you need to plan it out, and
maybe somewhere that you are purchasing equipment can look things over and ensure you are getting the right combinations.

Collapse -
Gee, I select speakers by sound & affordability, not wattage

In reply to: Whole House Audio

handling capacity. I suppose it is rational to have speakers which could cope with 1 & 1/2 times the amplifier output.

Figure out volume control? Are your needs beyond the sphere of everyday occurrance? I'm not subject to "horsepower race" wattage claims (peak, continuous or otherwise) but rarely have occasion to advance the volume knob beyond 1/3 of maximum. I believe I'd hear from the neighbors.

You should exercise caution as to matching (or nearly so) impedance of the speakers. It's handy to have them be 8 ohms to avoid difficult loads.

Or are you making calculations for public address or concert situations, in which case an 80W receiver isn't what it's all about? 80W receiver with normal speakers creates no cause for concern & calculation in my mind. I'm sure I could damage your hearing with my secondary listening room by means of an old NAD 50W I believe integrated amp & nothing out of the way speakers.

Concern might be had if needing very long cable runs.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Gee, I select speakers by sound & affordability, not wattage

this information was helpful.
I don't select them based on wattage, I just want to make sure they work with the v.c.s

Is there a resource out there I could learn about stereo systems?
I am work for an A/V company, who installs home theatres, mounts flat panels, etc.,
and I just don't have enough knowledge yet. any reccomendations?

Collapse -
av industry

In reply to: thanks

If you work in the industry and I assume are still pretty new to it all, the best things to do as soon as possible are:
Read, read, read... owners manuals, magazines and trade mags(if you get them). Sites like this one, remotecentral.com, and I am sure there are others worth going to.
Talk with the reps that your company buys from, arrange technical trainings with them. They want you to know all there is about installing their equipment, thus it will always be spec'ed on jobs.
I would guess you are working with others, ask questions and pay attention to what they do. There are a lot of mistakes that can be avoided (and costly one's at that)just by addmitting you are not sure about something, and asking questions.
Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.