Phones forum

General discussion

Who wins... Lg cu 500 or Samsung sch a707?

by gooodgravy / February 27, 2007 10:54 AM PST

Any opinions or personal experience with either of these phones? I live in rural Northern CA.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who wins... Lg cu 500 or Samsung sch a707?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who wins... Lg cu 500 or Samsung sch a707?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
battery life versus camera resolution?
by gamedreamer / February 28, 2007 3:51 AM PST
http://www.wirefly.com/HelperPages/PhoneCompare.aspx?phoneBundleId=371&viewmode=1&strPhoneCompare=25564,25836,25838&totalPhones=3

Looks like you are choosing 3G phone with similar capabilities? Any reason why you chose these 2 phones? Sorry, I'm looking for a phone and it means I am stuck with whatever I choose for next 2 years. I usually don't care but now there are so many cool things you can have with your phone. And even better, the phone is free!! Well you end up paying the cost through your rate plan, but I'll actually be saving money there since I am consolidating 2 seperate plans into one famil plan.
Collapse -
LG or Samsung
by blaine100 / February 28, 2007 12:33 PM PST
Collapse -
samsung sync 707 sucks!!!!!
by ucanthang29 / March 19, 2007 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: LG or Samsung

I had a lg cu500 that went scuba diving inadvertently. Due to that it lost some of its screen function. I went to Cingular and wanted to try out the Samsung sync. When I went home and had a chance to power it on and check it out I was greatly dissappointed. What I did realize is that there is not much correlation between megapixel and camera quality. Although the sync has 2.0 vs. the lg having 1.3 the camera quality on the Lg is far superior to that of the Samsung. Speaker quality isnt even a fair comparison. The LG is one of the best sounding phones I ever heard. There is no comparison between the cu500 and Samsung sync. The sync does have a larger screen with better color qualities but its definitely blurry. I would not suggest the samsung to anyone especially since you can get the Lg cu500 for the same price with a contract at Cingular.

Collapse -
i agree
by carter250 / April 11, 2007 3:11 PM PDT

yeah i agree that the sync sucks. the camera really is not very good.i think they cheaped out on both the screen and the camera. I'd look for something else.

Collapse -
Samsung SCH-A707 RE:i think they cheaped out on both....
by San Diego California / October 11, 2007 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: i agree

Here again it takes a person with a hugh amount of patience to work this phone, a true tweaker:

At the Camera Settings, there are so many choices to select that I feel that the software designer of this product is a full time employee of Cannon Camera Co moonlighting for Samsung:

For example, there 5 folders of choices for true camera nuts:
The First Folder is for Size: with choices from 1600x1200, 1280x960, 800x600, 640x480 and 320x240.
Next, there is the Quality Folder: Super Fine, Fine, Normal, Low and Economy;
Next, a Display Folder: Actual Screen, Full Screen and Guideline, Full Screen & Indicator, and Full Screen.
Next Folder: Scene Program, 2 choices: Normal or Night-tune kabdscaoe,
Next Folder: Shutter Sound, 3 choices.
Next Folder: Multi Shot Speed: 3 choices: Low Normal and High
Next Folder: White Balance: 5 choices: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Incandescent and Fluorescent.
Next Folder: Default Storage: 2 choices: Phone or Memory Card (microSD at 2 Gb ---not mentioned in their manual.
Next Folder: Default Name: for photos.

Regarding the blur, maybe you might try adjusting a few of the parameters listed above to correct your problem

PS. I still hate this phone because its too much for tweaker-type
people. I still like the Motorola RIZR Z3 better, which does far less, with far less key strokes.

And lastly, again: I have no connections with any cell phone companies, service providers, nor do I own stocks in any cell phone related companies.

Collapse -
correction of spelling typing error
by San Diego California / October 11, 2007 12:12 PM PDT

Next Folder: Scene Program, 2 choices: Normal or Night-tune kabdscaoe,
SHOULD HAVE TYPED:
Next Folder: Scene Program, 2 choices: Normal or Night-time landscape

Collapse -
LG
by HoosierDrag / October 12, 2007 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: LG or Samsung

LG FTW

Collapse -
Samsung Sync vs. LG CU500
by arcurlyq-2163106261779266 / March 25, 2007 7:10 AM PDT

I just bought the Sync last week to replace an older-model Razr. While I loved the Razr, the new V3xx did not come as a quad-band phone. Anyway, I love the screen on the Sync and it's compact size. The LG felt a tad bulkier and didn't fit in my pocket as easily. I love the 3G capabilities; they are definitely worth the upgrade. However, the battery life thus far on my Sync has been a little disappointing. I am hoping to find an extended battery for this phone, because I use my cell phone a lot and cannot always be charging it up.

Collapse -
Samsung SCH-A707
by San Diego California / October 11, 2007 11:38 AM PDT

Regarding the Samsung SCH-A707 battery life:
I recently bought two SCH-A707 cell phones: I found that the battery life of the identical products were not identical! One cell phone needed way more recharging than the other, thou both phones are used the same amount ---talk-time. I suggest that before you wait for an 'improved' off-brand replacement battery, do what I did: smile as you ask the dealer for an replacement (in factory wrapper) Samsung OEM battery.

Collapse -
one of each
by dpv / April 14, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

Wife has the sync I have the LG. we each like our phones. I think they come out pretty close, it's just a matter of taste.

Collapse -
Go withLG500
by djmatt6899 / April 16, 2007 7:37 AM PDT

Sync has the poorest cell reception ,audio,and expect dropped calls....

Collapse -
Samsung SCH-A707
by San Diego California / October 11, 2007 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Go withLG500

First of all, I am not employied by any cell phone companies nor have any financial ties to stock ownership to the above.
Second, I am a new owner of two Samsung SCH-A707 phones.
Third, I am an retired electronic engineer.
Somethings I highly like about this phone, other things I really hate:
What I like:
The communications function regarding audio quality of this phone is the best of any phone I've heard in 15 years of cell phone operation; its truly HI-FI. Very surprising! There is no under-water sounding
communications here, nor does it sound like SSB or CB.
What I truly hate about this phone:
I think that Samsung should not have been told (BY CINGULAR) to embed 8 telephone numbers upon the contact list which CANNOT BE DELETED.
How dare someone tell me that I need to buy their music, information service and other crap. It's my phone when I buy it, not their tool of
advertising. Just like the Rollover minutes are MY Minutes, not theirs.
And lastly, the software of the telephone is great for tweakers who love to tweak their life away. What a waste of a good product, so sad. It takes too many key strokes to do what a Motorola RIZR Z3 can do with far less ley stroks. What were the Sampsung engineers thinking. Its like a web site designer doing his first few years of web site designing. I am going to keep one Samsung for my wife, who
dosent do much tweaking but likes HI FI and I'm going to return the other Samsung for a Motorola RIZR Z3 for myself, have it reconfigured for ATT. At least I can drive along and key in what I want without so many extra keystrokes while driving along.
I've got a whole lot more to say about the Samsung, but I've run out of time.

Collapse -
LG CU500 - Don't buy this phone!
by NewSpace / October 12, 2007 2:52 AM PDT

Looks like I totally wasted my AT&T upgrade that I waited 2 years for. I chose the CU500 for it's features, mostly the 1GB MicroSD card function. Turns out this feature isn't all it's cracked up to be because it only works with SanDisk microSD cards! The camera is pretty run-of-the-mill. Some of it's other features aren't bad but the main reason I say not to buy this phone is reception. I live in southern CA and I was beginning to think AT&T's coverage was poor. That turns out not to be true. I 'upgraded' from a RAZR V3. MY CU500 drops calls, cuts in and out and flat fails to dial way too often to keep me from throwing it off a bridge. So, I just went back to my RAZR, which gets great reception. I didn't realize some phones get a better signal than others but it's true. My CU500 makes a great alarm clock... too bad I have to wait another year to take advantage of the upgrade discount.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.