Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Who Watches the Firewalls?!!

by texsun41 / June 21, 2010 12:47 AM PDT

Besides Microsoft, Spyware, Viruses or the FBI, Yet something more to feed peoples paranoid delusions of their PC's secretly communicating behind their backs, "Who Watches the Firewalls?"
People buy all these different firewalls thinking that will protect them and their privacy, but after using various Firewall Software in the years, my question has always been, "Who Watches the Firewalls?? How do U know what your firewall is ?Reeeeeeealleeee ?communicating behind your back"? I"m watching my Firewall saying its Updating right now and I have no Idea what it is really going on. I trust it like everyone else. No way would it lie, would it? Would your Firewall alert you if your Firewall Vendor was trying to spy on you?
I mean what better way to secretly invade your puter then then with your very own defense slowly obtaining info over the years. Your Firewall has an unimpeded direct connection to your puter at any given time and can say its doing anything , when its really uploading anything it wants to. Or it can communicate and NOT tell you. Yes, I know there is programs that can analyze the actual packets of info being communicated, but who in the heck does that? I have a Russian and an American Firewall running at the same time. Figured each one would be good at watching each other. Wait, someones knocking at my door. Oh NO! They have found me. Must be the Russians. Dang Firewall!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who Watches the Firewalls?!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who Watches the Firewalls?!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My question then is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 1:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
You're absolutely right.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 5:43 AM PDT

That's why I keep my savings under my bed, I don't trust the banks. And I walk to work, I don't trust the motor car manufacturers, nor the bus companies.

That's why I don't use a cell phone, who's listening in? I don't use a land line, who's tapping it?

I use candles instead of electricity, who knows if they charge over the odds?

That's why I don't use a computer. Ohh, wait...!

I think you will get the picture.

Just a note about two firewalls. They won't check each other they way you wish. If anything they will conflict with each other.

And finally, a Russian firewall..??

Mark

Collapse -
The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!
by Carol~ Moderator / June 21, 2010 6:23 AM PDT

Mark..

"Me thinks" the Russians were knocking at his (or her) door to confiscate the "dang firewall"!

In conclusion, I don't feel there will be a "two firewall conflict" to be had. Devil

And with that said, I admire your minimalist lifestyle. Who knew?

But wait.. if you don't own a computer, then how is it possible that .... ?? Nevermind. I must have missed the bigger picture. Silly

Collapse -
It's the bicycle I adapted and turned into a generator
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 6:26 AM PDT

It's hard work peddling whilst I type, but it keeps me fit. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) An ingenious contraption! And it keeps you fit, no less :D
by Carol~ Moderator / June 21, 2010 7:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
In the war ...
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

(and in the Netherlands we mean World War 2 (1939-1945) with that) that was reality here.

From http://www.tweede-wereldoorlog.org/frans-mast.html
"Elektriciteit en gas waren slechts in beperkte mate voorradig. De meeste mensen kookten op gas, dat slechts een paar uur per dag werd verstrekt. Hetzelfde gold voor elektriciteit. Mensen moesten improviseren. Bioscopen genereerden elektriciteit, dat werd opgewekt met fietsen. Jongens konden hiermee een zakcentje verdienen."

http://skrivadur.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/een-vinding-uit-de-oude-doos/ even has a picture. And the story:

"In de Tweede Wereldoorlog kenden ze het principe ook al. In die tijd werd zoon- of dochterlief op de oude fiets van opa gezet (denk aan de blokken op de pedalen!). De dynamo werd op de band gezet en fietsen maar! Via een stroomdraadje was de dynamo verbonden met een klein peertje aan het plafond. Elke trapbeweging zorgde voor een flikkerend lichtje. Zo werd het ?s avonds in oorlogstijd toch een beetje licht. Als zoon- of dochterlief moe werd, trad onmiddellijk de duisternis is."

Translation from google respectively:
Electricity and gas were limited stock. Most people cooked on gas, only a few hours per day was provided. The same was true for electricity. People had to improvise. Cinemas generated electricity which was generated by cycling. Boys could earn pocket money with this one." [quite clear translation]

and

""In World War II they knew the principle at that time was also al-son or daughter on the old bike grandfather put (think of the blocks on the pedals!). The alternator was on the tape and put bikes away! Through a power wire, the generator connected to a small bulb on the ceiling. Each step motion caused a flickering candle. Thus was the evening in time of war but a little light. A son or daughter got tired, became immediately the darkness. " [rather bad translation].

And here is the pedal-a-watt: http://www.econvergence.net/electro.htm
Did Obama already order one for each household now pumping oil out of the ocean has become a little bit impopular due to some minor BP accident?
Wow, it could even be used to power an electric car while on the road. Would save a lot of gas and surely help against obesitas.

Kees

Collapse -
Fascinating, Kees !
by Carol~ Moderator / June 21, 2010 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: In the war ...

I see where it's noted under the picture of the Pedal-A-Watt, 'The Pedal-A-Watt bicycle stand keeps the user fit while creating power that may be used to power lights and/or other small appliances'. The words look familiar.

And all the while, I was thinking of suggesting to Mark, he quit his day job and open a small manufacturing shop, on the grounds of his mansion. Sad

The information leads me to believe, this is NOT Mark! I should have known, when I saw the suit and tie.

All the above aside.. I'm always up for a history lesson. It was interesting. I could "get me one of them" for a mere $400 USD.

Carol

Collapse -
Someone stole my invention!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Fascinating, Kees !

Darn, I'll have to think of something else now.

Pedal powered flight. Hmmm....

Mark

Collapse -
Great idea.
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2010 8:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Double darn!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Great idea.

Seems I got beaten to it again.

As to a 2-person model Kees, no problem, since I would have to fly it on my own over the Channel to Holland to pick you up anyway.

Hmm. I'm having second thoughts already, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
good one.
by porsche10x / July 16, 2010 5:30 AM PDT

Thanks:) Reminded me of the professor on Gilligan's Island. He could build a bicycle to turn a home-made generator to charge up home-made batteries to power up a radio using nothing but bamboo and coconuts. Funny though, how he couldn't manage to fix a hole in a boat.

Collapse -
Well you do or better put, you can
by Dango517 / June 25, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

There is a list in most of them that allows you to view and in some instances adjust your settings by allowing inbound and out bound access for programs, if you dare,. Remember that those that make this software know more about it then you probably do, so be prepared to reload it if you screw up.

The rule is, trust is earned never given on the net. Be careful out there er on the side of caution.

Collapse -
What about no firewall?
by 3rdalbum / June 26, 2010 11:52 PM PDT

Firstly, if you are behind a broadband modem/router (excluding mobile broadband) you are already behind a firewall, it's built into your router.

Secondly, firewalls stop incoming connections; they don't necessarily stop outgoing connections. The ones that DO stop outgoing connections are too annoying and get turned off by a virus in the event that a virus does actually start running on your computer.

Thirdly, if you're worried about your firewall software, then don't run any. You don't need a firewall if your computer is not listening to incoming connections. Windows, by default, listens for incoming connections which is DUMB and so you really need a firewall there. Mac OS X appears to listen to some incoming ports too.

There are Linux distributions, such as Ubuntu, that don't actually have a firewall configured by default, because they don't listen to incoming ports. An Ubuntu computer without a firewall looks the same to a remote attacker as a Windows computer with a fully-functioning firewall - neither will accept incoming connections.

Collapse -
This a little bit Paranoia, don't you think?
by Oper8torMatrix / June 27, 2010 4:18 PM PDT

A system without an active firewall is vulnerable to infection by a variety of malicious programs, sometimes within minutes of connecting to the Internet. Even if you're typically very careful in your computing practices, your system can still be infected by programs that scan random Internet addresses and attempt to "slip in the back door" through open ports on your computer.

The firewall watches us!

Collapse -
Firewall wo is watching
by jrap330 / June 27, 2010 11:54 PM PDT

Well then this applies to all your software that you will patch via the web. Windows or MS office...who is watching MS....Adobe Reader...who is watching Adobe...AVG who is watching comapny AVG company, and on-line banking, on-line shopping, on-line anything...privacy slower eroding away. So STOP being paranoid...go get a drink!

Something to rememember and think...once the PC entered your house......once you have started to use your cell phone.....your privacy was lost......we have to get use to it. This is the result of the IT age......

In fact..once Mr Bell invented the telephone...your privacy was lost.

That is life.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.