HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

Resolved Question

Who should be owner to different folders in C:\ ?

by werea / February 24, 2014 4:27 PM PST

I happened changed owner to my C:\ to Administrator, and I'm trying to change it back to how it normally should be, without reinstall my pc.
Can someone help to check on a normal Vista PC which fold sould be owned by Trustedinstaller and which should be SYSTEM? and is there any fold should be owned by Administraor?

werea has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who should be owner to different folders in C:\ ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who should be owner to different folders in C:\ ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by werea

Collapse -
Interesting question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 12:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Not funny it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting question.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/08/20/453428.aspx and many other articles seem to miss the point.

That is while we see many ways to set these, your everyday user won't know how to set them up. I don't have a Vista machine to scavenge what's set there and even then it should be incorrect for your PC.

-> The advice is to stay out of areas like this.
Bob
Collapse -
Thanks
by werea / February 25, 2014 3:36 PM PST
In reply to: Not funny it seems.

Thanks for your help.

I get it now, but how can I undo the damage I alread made?

Made a call to Microsoft but the answere I got was they are not very sure about this, and just tell me try reinstall...
So I just hoping there are someone with a Vista computer can see this topic

Collapse -
Yes they will tell you to reinstall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

You could install to a new drive, take notes on ownership, permissions and what CACLS reports and try repairing the old OS but this won't tackle other permission issues such as registry keys.

Great question and like at low tide exposes an area of omission. I didn't find a reset to defaults for this one.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by werea / February 27, 2014 2:44 AM PST

don't have any extra drive, so difficult to try....

Maybe, if possible, may you check what ownership does you computer have on diffrent folder in disk C? Just to know how it could be.

Really hope there would be a way to reset : (

Collapse -
Why yes you do. Sorry but when you give me a challenge
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2014 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

OK, where is it? It's on your drive. How to do this?

Step 1. Go get Virtual Box. Well used, documented up the wazoo and free.
Step 2. Go get Vista. We don't care about activation here. Here's a discussion about DIGITAL RIVER.
http://downloadsnfix.blogspot.com/2012/08/microsoft-windows-vista-official-iso.html

Step 3. Install a Vista into Virtual Box. I'm going to let you do your research on that. Plenty of web pages about it.

Step 4. Viola. You have a stock Windows Vista install that should work for about 28 days and let you explore the default ownership and permissions.

There's a lesson here. I won't write what it is.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.