HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Who's On First? Me Or the Administrator?

by Confed / September 6, 2008 12:10 AM PDT

I got a Dell Dimension that came with Vista already loaded on it. Dandy. Swell. But I thought I was the Administrator. Now my system won't give me access to some critical files and folders unless I'm logged in as an administrator.

What occurs? I tried to give myself all the privileges, but it was a no go. I even tried to log off and then on as an administrator, but I have not that option. So how should I do it? Any guesses?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who's On First? Me Or the Administrator?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who's On First? Me Or the Administrator?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look up this on google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

VISTA TAKE OWNERSHIP

Collapse -
Easier Said Than Done
by Confed / September 6, 2008 1:49 AM PDT

Since I ordered the bloody computer and I paid for it, and I'm the ONLY user, and there's NO Administrator logon to choose, why can't I see into my DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS folder? How can I move my PST and PAB files into the right folders if I don't have Administrator rights?

Microsoft is doing this routine of taking people off the street, sitting them in front of computers and getting them to say how GREAT Vista is. Every time I want to run a program, I get a prompt. ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU WANT TO RUN THIS? and the whole screen goes dark. And it does it over and over and over and over. Sometimes these screens pop up BEHIND other open windows and the screen doesn't go dark. You're sitting there wondering why nothing is happening, so fifteen minutes later, you're closing down a window, then you see the window asking, YOU WANT TO RUN THIS PROGRAM, RIGHT? and you hit okay and it finally continues.

I've gotten to where I DESPISE Bill Gates.

Collapse -
DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS folder?
by John.Wilkinson / September 6, 2008 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Easier Said Than Done

That's an XP directory, not Vista. (In Vista it's just a shortcut existing for compatibility reasons.) Browse to C:\Users\<your username> for the new Vista equivalent, which is where you'll find/place your files.

John

Collapse -
Follow Bob's advice...
by glenn30 / September 6, 2008 2:02 AM PDT

and Google "Take Ownership".

As to the popups asking if you really want to do this... you can disable UAC (User Account Control) and eliminate this nuisance. Google it also for instructions.

Glenn

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 2:12 AM PDT

Microsoft is still in the mindset that owners need some few hundred hours of training or that everyone should be paying for support for issues like this.

Thankfully we have forums like this that can save you big bucks. But sometimes the answer is about how to find the answer and not "fish" but fishing lessons.

I hope you find some value here.
Bob

Collapse -
THANK YOU
by Confed / September 7, 2008 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I hear you.

I've found many great resources searching for "TAKE OWNERSHIP OF VISTA."

After my wife recently consented to having some security updates installed on her computer, it suddenly lost its Internet connection. Several tech guys from the router company to our IP provider admitted that security updates to XP have made it increasingly unstable. I can't help but wonder if this is some conspiracy to move people along to Vista, but after their not being able to figure out what was wrong (her computer told me it was connected, and I was able to access the router, but no Internet service), I uninstalled all of her 1394 and Linksys hardware in the Device Manager, rebooted, let it reinstall, and this time it connected. At any rate, the tech support people said that Microsoft was driving them nuts. Some of those updates appear to be more like malware than actual updates.

Thanks again for the pokes in the right direction. I hope Bill Gates has as lousy a day today as I did yesterday. All we need is more operating systems that seek to protect us from ourselves.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.