HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Who's had their flu shot?

by Cindi Haynes / October 10, 2005 7:11 AM PDT

I got mine today, so my arm aches and feels like lead. Maybe I can get the hubby to wait on me cuz I'm in so much pain and all. Wink

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who's had their flu shot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who's had their flu shot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ill get mine this wensday at clinic
by Mark5019 / October 10, 2005 7:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Apparently you don't have
by John Robie / October 10, 2005 8:09 AM PDT

Gulf storm evacuates in your state. Here they will give the shots to them first because (as reasonably) some are in crowded areas and the flu could spread fast among them. The rest of us 70+ yrs olds will have to wait until around the 17-19 of October.

Collapse -
Not available at UTMB yet, Cindi.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 10, 2005 11:05 PM PDT

They always announce availability in the Daily Announcements, and there's been no mention yet.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Scheduled for October 18th,
by Angeline Booher / October 10, 2005 8:19 AM PDT

When he gets home, be lying down on the couch with a cloth on your forehead, and pretend to be brave. :-)Say "Ouch!" when you painfully raise your arm to wave at him. Say in a very feeble voice, "I guess you want supper."

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Heh heh.........
by Mac McMullen / October 10, 2005 8:21 AM PDT

"No, that's OK, You just rest. I'll go out to eat"

Collapse -
I wish!
by Bill Osler / October 10, 2005 9:58 AM PDT

We haven't even received our vaccine yet!

My employer (a hospital) has impounded all of the vaccine that has come in so far and they won't even deliver it to the primary care offices until later this month.

I think it's outrageous, but I don't have enough political power to do anything about it.

Collapse -
Hmm.....Blackmarket or out to make a buck?
by John Robie / October 10, 2005 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I wish!

Instead of waiting until 17-19 Oct the Texas MedClinic is right now offering flu shots in all eight of its clinics in San Antonio for $28, although Medicare patients is billed to Medicare for those eligible. Gee this is the first time I've seen it this high...$28 is unheard of around here.

Collapse -
I find this odd ...
by Evie / October 10, 2005 10:41 AM PDT

... because I've seen sign up sheets here in the tri-state area (been in NJ, NY, CT and also RI and MA in the past two weeks) for "free" or low cost shots.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
The Public Health Department here
by John Robie / October 10, 2005 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I find this odd ...

used to charge $5-$6. Wife used to get free from Military as a dependent, but easier to get locally from health Dept ahead of time and pay. Said she has only paid $10-$12 for Public Health Department Flu shots in past several years (she is younger than me). This $28 is something else, as I feel sure the price will come down when the Health Dept starts giving out shots around 17-19 Oct. Could this be gouging at $28 or a misprint in the newspaper. I'll call them tomorrow with a quiz.

Collapse -
Cost .......
by John Robie / October 11, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

Called the San Antonio Health Department and they will be charging $23 for those not on Medicare/Medicade. Asked why so high and she said it must be the cost increase they have to pay the supplier.

Was not able to get a human on the phone with Texas Med Clinic unless an emergency, so assume the $28 per flu shot available now is correct.

Collapse -
Waivering
by EdH / October 11, 2005 1:29 AM PDT

Last year I passed on the free one from my employer but then a couple weeks later got nervous and got one from my doctor for $15. Not sure what I'll do this year since I'm unemployed. Might get one; might not

Gonna be out of the country around Christmas so I imagine I'll be getting shots then. Maybe just pile this one on.

Collapse -
$30 here.
by Angeline Booher / October 11, 2005 1:34 AM PDT

I'll be getting mine at Kroger (a supermarket that has a pharmacy). No out of pocket for us seniors.

But the pharmacy I use is not offering them to us, unless we want to pay $30 like non-seniors.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
My employer's explanation ...
by Bill Osler / October 10, 2005 11:15 AM PDT

We placed our orders last Spring, before anybody really knew whether the Chiron vaccine would be approved this year. The price for the Chiron vaccine was lower than for the other, so many offices opted to order the Chiron vaccine. At our office we ordered most of our vaccine from the other large supplier. My logic was that if Chiron had problems for the last 2 years I didn't want to order from them.

Fast forward to now. Last I checked, Chiron has not yet shipped any of its vaccine. The hospital has a massive shortage because so many primary care offices ordered from Chiron. Apparently, the inpatient supply from the hospital was supposed to come from Chiron as well.

So what does the hospital do? As best I can tell, they impounded all the vaccine they could find and started to use it for the hospital patients. Those of us who wisely ordered from the other company aren't getting the vaccine we ordered because other folks didn't think carefully when they placed their orders.

The hospital has defended its action by noting that the flu vaccine should only be given to high risk patients until the end of October. Unfortunately, this means that I cannot give the vaccine to my high risk patients in the office.

It's a frustrating situation.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Does the local news know about this?
by Diana Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 10:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
I doubt it ...
by Bill Osler / October 11, 2005 6:28 AM PDT

And I don't want to go there.

From a certain perspective, the hospital's decision makes sense. From my perspective, it just makes it harder to provide the best patient care.

What I personally find incredible is that so many offices ordered exclusively from Chiron even though they had problems delivering vaccine 2 years ago and didn't deliver any vaccine at all last year.

A good price may have some value, but not if the product isn't coming!

Collapse -
Heck! And we're just up the road from you.
by Cindi Haynes / October 11, 2005 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I wish!

I actually missed the date for high-risk (which I belong to) so I expected a mob when I got there, but I was in and out in 15 minutes. I guess the private Dr. offices don't have them here yet, either, I got mine at the Health Dept, had to drive to Dobson. Paid $15.00. My insurance covers it, but it's easier to pay than mess with forms. They said they had plenty this year, and didn't forsee any shortages at all. I don't know who their supplier was.

What a contrast from last year! My Doc's office didn't have them at all, and we (my 85 yr.old grandmother-in-law and I) waited outside in line 3 hours in the heat and sun at one of the drugstore clinics. A nightmare, that was!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
My doctor's office....
by Angeline Booher / October 11, 2005 1:45 AM PDT

.........quit giving them 4 years ago, (Thoough I did get a pneumonia shot there last year.) All patients are to go to the pharmacy located in the medical office building. I don't know why --- maybe they got tired of waiting for vaccine.

I did the first year, then went to the Health Department. Last year a friend and I had to hunt around, finally finding it available at an Urgent Care Center.

One nice thing- Kroger takes appointments, which is why I know I'll get one Tuesday.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I haven't had one since the fall of 1990.
by Paul C / October 10, 2005 11:08 AM PDT

The minute not getting one ceased being a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, I ceased getting them.

Collapse -
What shot, where, when
by Willy / October 10, 2005 12:10 PM PDT

I haven't taken one in years. Whenever I did, I was sicker than a dog, I'm that type of person. It doesn't matter to me as I'll get sick anyways, so I take my chances as my health is as good as it gets and working in/outside I'm ready for the cold. So, I brave whatever comes down the pike, lets say, considering all the things that seem to come-up every yr. can anyone be safe. It maybe better to ride it out. anyways that's my story... -----Willy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Never had one either
by Evie / October 10, 2005 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: What shot, where, when
Collapse -
Are you allergic to eggs?
by Angeline Booher / October 11, 2005 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: What shot, where, when

I ask because....

I know they used to grow the stuff in eggs, though I don't know about that now, for sure.

As the vaccine consists of killed viruses, I just wondered if the eggs might have been your problem.

My father-in-law had that problem.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
They are still grown in eggs ...
by Bill Osler / October 11, 2005 6:25 AM PDT

That is an area of research, but last I checked (last Spring maybe?) there was no commercially available vaccine that was not grown in an egg culture.

It turns out that growing the chickens to lay the eggs for the flu vaccine is a big business. I don't remember the details, but I think they only get a small number of doses per egg so it takes many millions of eggs from millions of hens. The hens involved are bred for that specific purpose.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for the information !
by Angeline Booher / October 11, 2005 7:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ouch! No, thanks!
by Dan McC / October 11, 2005 1:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) got mine today free and arms sore
by Mark5019 / October 12, 2005 2:35 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.