Phones forum

General discussion

Who is the best carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area for GSM

by Kmiz / January 29, 2004 2:54 PM PST

I'd like to go with Verizon, since they seem to have much better sound quality, signal strength around the SF bay area. I have Cingular right now and it is pretty bad, many dead spots, like at my house, inside at work, up in the foothills. But, I want to stay with GSM, since I travel to Asia and want to be able to have GSM to use my phone over there. Guess I could buy 1 CDMA phone for here, and another for using in Asia, but that is a hassle. So, is AT&T wireless GSM or T-mobile any better than Cingular in the SF Bay area? I heard T-Mobile uses the same GSM network at Cingular, so it would not be any better. Also, I have the Ericsson T28 World phone now, so not sure how much the poor reception is due to the phone. Maybe I could get a little better reception with Cingular by just using a better phone. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who is the best carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area for GSM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who is the best carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area for GSM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take a look at my previous post
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 30, 2004 1:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Take a look at my previous post
by Kmiz / January 31, 2004 7:37 PM PST

Thanks Lee, although I am trying to find out if the sound quality and signal strength is any better with ATT Wireless GSM or T-Mobile, versus Cingular, which I have now. Have not been able to have anyone who can compare these 3, other than to say they are bad or one is bad. I guess I am looking for some relative feedback. Is there much difference between the 3? I know you mentioned that generally speaking the older or more established the service provider, the better.

Collapse -
Re:Who is the best carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area for GSM
by waxer / January 30, 2004 1:50 AM PST

You will be sorry with both Cingular and AT+T. I've tried both in the Bay Area with no success. T-Mobile uses the Cingular backbone here in the Bay Area, so I can only guess that the service suffers as well. I recently switched to Verizon, and couldn't be happier. Not only is the coverage better, but the service is quite superior (this should not be overlooked). While Verizon doesn't have internationally compatible phone, they do have service where you can rent international phones when you need them for your travel. This will save you from having to buy two phones and two call plans. I have used the service and it works well. I would urge you to revisit the Verizon site and follow the links to the international phone page.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Who is the best carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area for GSM
by Kmiz / January 31, 2004 7:40 PM PST

Thanks. I have been using Cingular for some time now, so I am aware of its capabilities and quality or lack there of. I know Verizon is much better, but I really would rather stay with GSM and have one phone. Otherwise, I'll have to buy one phone for here in the USA and another GSM phone when I travel abroad. I really do not want to rent one each time. Maybe I will end up buying two, but I'd sure like to avoid that.

Collapse -
Re:Who is the best carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area for

I am with AT&T (now cingular) and I had the same sony ericsson phone. The problem is with that phone, the way it handles the RF is not as good at all. Try upgrading your phone and I am sure you will be pleased with the service that you get. I perfer a GSM phone because I travel internationally and I tell you (which you know) its so much more convenient having your mobile phone with you than worrying about calling cards.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.